How powerful is your computer? Test it now! - Page 4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008   #31
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 332771
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: How powerful is your computer? Test it now!

While we are at it, 00silvergt, you were supposed to test your computer. You had the whole weekend. Where are the results? Or are YOU the grown man that was crying?

The Adventures of the Photo Camel

My Smugmug page

A photograph is like a joke. If you have to explain it, it just isn't that good.
Killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #32
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6150
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
Hey! I have a PIII. In my "old" computer. Actually, it IS old. That's why I built the beast. But then again, mine is not the slot 1 configuration, and I never had an issue with it overheating. The only real problem I had with that old sucker is the power supply died, and I had to replace it. We did away with slot 1 before I bought mine.

Now problems with the monitor? That's a different story. I had a 17 inch Viewsonic CRT that my cat liked to sleep on. With the top vents all covered up, that got a little warm at times.
I remember back in the early 90's when I worked at a computer store in Pleasant Hill, 17" Viewsonics were our top seller, then came the Ilyama which had the Shadow Mask screen or Trinitron tube which had rectangular pixels or rather AG (aperture grille) instead or round pixels like some of the Viewsonics. The thing about computer technology, one minute it is all the rave, then it is obselete! Dang, Moore and his stupid law! LOL

"difficult to survive by becoming professional photographer, it is more profitable to buy secondhand car and do pizza delivery than buy DSRL and shoot weddings." (kenzo D, Dpreview)

-Sig edited b/c someone requested it to done, the fun of was wearing out anyway!!!

I'm post happy, but Karma starved...please donate some
00silvergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #33
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00silvergt View Post
I remember back in the early 90's when I worked at a computer store in Pleasant Hill, 17" Viewsonics were our top seller, then came the Ilyama which had the Shadow Mask screen or Trinitron tube which had rectangular pixels or rather AG (aperture grille) instead or round pixels like some of the Viewsonics. The thing about computer technology, one minute it is all the rave, then it is obselete! Dang, Moore and his stupid law! LOL
Oh man, don't tell me YOU are the one from R-Computer, across from DVC, that sold me my monitor?

Gotta link in the song from Disney "It's a small world after all, it's a small world after all," etc, etc, etc.

My Smugmug page

A photograph is like a joke. If you have to explain it, it just isn't that good.
Old 05-19-2008   #34
F1 Camel

Quote:
Oh man, don't tell me YOU are the one from R-Computer, across from DVC, that sold me my monitor?

Gotta link in the song from Disney "It's a small world after all, it's a small world after all," etc, etc, etc.
Nah, R-computer was a rival...LOL Actually their employees came to us, since R was raping them. LOL Laitron Computer. We also had Egghead Software, Compusa, and AMD has customers. I used to get their employee discounts at their shops and gave them mine at Laitron. Except for R, I just gave them real good pricing, since I'm a sucker for employees, getting reamed by their own company. LOL

"difficult to survive by becoming professional photographer, it is more profitable to buy secondhand car and do pizza delivery than buy DSRL and shoot weddings." (kenzo D, Dpreview)

-Sig edited b/c someone requested it to done, the fun of was wearing out anyway!!!

Old 05-21-2008   #35
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 16

Not quite as fast as KillJoy... 22.3 Seconds.

Vista Ultimate
Core2Duo 2.4GHz OC'd to 3.15GHz (Stock cooling, Idles at 35F, Hits about 55 under full load)
2GB RAM
Main HDD is a WD 10K Raptor 74GB SATA
Rick91981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #36
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick91981 View Post
Not quite as fast as Killjoy... 22.3 Seconds.

Vista Ultimate
Core2Duo 2.4GHz OC'd to 3.15GHz (Stock cooling, Idles at 35F, Hits about 55 under full load)
2GB RAM
Main HDD is a WD 10K Raptor 74GB SATA
I looked at this, and thought "gee, maybe I should go back to the stock cooler" and then realised that it wasn't the same chip. Gotta compare apples to apples.

For the system you have, that's a great time! It's still screaming. I would have been happy with that.

My Smugmug page

Old 05-22-2008   #37
F1 Camel

Okay, just did it, 18 seconds 97 milliseconds...

AMD Athlon X2 64
4GB DDR2 800 Gkillz matched 4 sticks Dual Channel
WD SATA II 500GB 32MB cache

According to my G15, right before the test the CPU load was at 1% and Memory Usage is at 26%

Old 05-22-2008   #38
Photocamel Master

That G15 looks cool, but I am so used to an ergo keyboard, I can't go back.

My Smugmug page

Old 05-22-2008   #39
F1 Camel

Quote:
That G15 looks cool, but I am so used to an ergo keyboard, I can't go back.

Yeah, the new one is a bit better (I have the older one with the blue display) but I can't imagine living without the G15, I've got all sorts of widgets on it that tells me things. The nice thing is that Logitech must have had some partnership with AMD, since AMD has created a bunch of widgets for it that tells me how the processor is behaving or misbehaving. For games, the G15 is nothing short of phenomenal with the macro features. I have mine coupled with the G7 Laser, which is awesome. Optical mice, I believe will soon go the way of the mechanical ball mice and laser will take over, I can use it accurately with any surface. Probably why, albeit I have a Wacom, I only use it for PS.

Old 05-22-2008   #40
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 16

Quote:
I looked at this, and thought "gee, maybe I should go back to the stock cooler" and then realised that it wasn't the same chip. Gotta compare apples to apples.

For the system you have, that's a great time! It's still screaming. I would have been happy with that.

Part of the reason my temps stay so low is due to the case I use(Antec 900). The airflow is amazing. Ive toyed with the idea of pushing the chip faster as I have not seen any ill effects with the current speed, but I don't want to push my luck so I left it as is.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: