24/7 hard drives - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2008   #21
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: 24/7 hard drives

Yep, you're stuffed mate. Back up now ! .
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008   #22
I'm around sometimes

CamelKarma: 86064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakor View Post
Damn........ I've just replaced my 6yr old Seagate with a WD. I get the impression that I should be backing up on a daily basis for the foreseeable future.
Nah, you have about 9~12 months before catastrophic disk failure.
Old 04-01-2008   #23
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 33
Editing OK?: Ask First

Ah well..... it's only for the C drive anyhow; always keep my data on another disk.
Malakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #24
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 60
Editing OK?: Ask first

Have a WD in my main one. Its about 6yrs old. No problems. Alo have Maxtor and Segates. Again no hd problems. Friend had 2 Maxtors die on his within 3 months.
Monterey Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #25
senses working overtime

I think that's a fair point Monterey Jack. There are probably horror stories around all brands if one looks hard enough. Just remember to backup, and backup often.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008   #26
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 33
Editing OK?: Ask First

Well, guess what? I'm now getting random freezes.......... the 'box' clicks loudly and then everything stops dead! Guess they don't make 'em like they used to..............
Malakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #27
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 39

I've used a wide variety of HDD's (although limited experience on SCSI Drives). I've not really had any problems WD drives, I do however steer clear of Seagate and Fujitsu (sp?) as I've had several die on me in a short amount of time.

I think the 2 main issues with HDD's is the spin speed (10,000 - 7200 - 5400 etc...) the faster they are the less stable they seem to be and also how they have been treated (not only during installation, but also how they were stored / shipped with the reseller).

Although modern HDD's claim to have vibration protection, Modern cases (being lighter) will allow more vibrations to affect the internal components. I have noticed this since I swapped a very solid steel full tower for an aluminum full tower I noticed far more vibrations running through the case (saying that the empty steel case weighed far more that the aluminum case with 4 HDD's and 2 optical drives).

Also don't forget external HDD's seem to be even less reliable than internal ones.

my 0.02 peneth...

The world is like a ride in an amusement park and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and around and around and it has thrills and chills and it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud. And it's fun - for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question; is this real? Or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, and they say, "Hey, don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because... this is just a ride." - BILL HICKS. (16 DECEMBER 1961 - 26 FEBRUARY 1994)
Aardvark101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #28
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

It's amazing that every time the subject of hard drives comes up, people trot out their favorite brands, and everyone seems to disagree on which are the best.
Old 04-15-2008   #29
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt View Post
It's amazing that every time the subject of hard drives comes up, people trot out their favorite brands, and everyone seems to disagree on which are the best.
It's not that amazing. Change the topic to cars, cameras, computers, guns, whatever, and you'll get the same thing.
Old 04-15-2008   #30
senses working overtime

I'm about to buy 4 x Samsung 1TB drives (Samsung Spinpoint F1 HDDs: New Winners? | Tom's Hardware). They seem pretty good value, but I'll be interested in anyone else's experience of them.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: