PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Computers and Software (https://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/)
-   -   Photoshop Bridge or Photoshop Lightroom (https://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/45847-photoshop-bridge-photoshop-lightroom.html)

freddiebear 03-20-2008 07:54 PM

Photoshop Bridge or Photoshop Lightroom

Which in your opinion is best to use for uploading digital pictures and why would you need both? You get Bridge with Photoshop and Bridge and Lightroom seem to do about the same thing. I have Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom 1.4, any help on this subject would be appreciated

EOS_JD 03-20-2008 07:56 PM

Re: Photoshop Bridge or Photoshop Lightroom

Lightroom without a doubt..... SPEED & ease of use.

jfrancho 03-20-2008 08:08 PM

Strictly for DLing? LR without a doubt. Bridge is quite a bit more than that though, and so is LR. LR is a better asset manager, while Bridge's strength is as a file manager. They both can use ACR, and they can both jump to Photoshop for other editing. Photoshop would be very difficult for me to use without Bridge, but if you aren't one to do much in Photoshop (filters, layers, etc.), LR is the answer since it does quite a bit.

EOS_JD 03-20-2008 08:10 PM

I never use Bridge at all. Lightroom and CS3 (when needed).

What do you do in Bridge JF?

jfrancho 03-20-2008 08:20 PM

Previewing, tagging, sorting, renaming, moving, ACR settings, conversion, batch processing (usually Dr. Brown's 1-2-3 Process, plus some of my own scripts). Since I kick off my raw processing all at once after setting up all the files from the shoot individually, I also use it to browse to the images I'm going to edit in Photoshop itself. If I spend 5 minutes on an image, 3 are from Bridge. I had Rawshooter, so I have LR too, but I hardly use it. To be truthful, I don't really like it for what I'm doing - it just didn't fit in to my workflow. If I didn't have Photoshop, I'd be all over it.

EOS_JD 03-20-2008 08:37 PM

I use Lightroom to preview, tag, sort, rename, convert (inc batch which is way quicker and easier than even Dr Brown's).

I also use Lightroom to browse any images I want to edit further. Easy to scroll through and flag or reject or score (1-5).

If you give LR a real workout you'll honestly wonder what you ever saw in Bridge.

JD

jfrancho 03-20-2008 08:42 PM

I have given it a real workout - I use it sometimes on onesy-twosy pictures. Its great, but I already do all of that in Bridge. I have even written customized panels for it where I've hijacked a few unused EXIF fields for security purposes. Only my view shows these, unless you actually go in and read the file header. Since there isn't any new or value added functionality that it adds, there is no reason for me to switch.

One thing I haven't figured out - can you run a batch process from LR that kicks off an action that points to a script?

EOS_JD 03-20-2008 08:47 PM

As I don't use scripts very often, that is not something I've looked at. I just find Lr so much quicker - especially for 1000+ wedding images. Knocks hours off my workflow.

JonathanSQ 03-20-2008 08:53 PM

Honestly I like LR. I don't have/use Bridge (I have Photoshop CS so...).
The only downside is it will just barely run for me. I haven't the $$$ to
upgrade the RAM in my laptop. So I'm stuck at 512MB, 1/2 the minimum for LR.
But, still, it cuts plenty of time from my workflow even with that problem.

jfrancho 03-20-2008 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EOS_JD (Post 386662)
As I don't use scripts very often, that is not something I've looked at. I just find Lr so much quicker - especially for 1000+ wedding images. Knocks hours off my workflow.

I guess. I didn't see anything that expedited my work flow. I use keyboard shortcuts and filters to flag and rate in Bridge. The time you spend importing a collection, Bridge spends creating the cache. They both seem the same on my system. Also, its about semantics. I am used to Asset management on a file level. We use tools like VSS and Version Cue at work to keep from clobbering each others' work, track progress, and other things. That bit of process management costs a bit in time, but for repeatable consistency, it can't be beat. That mentality permeates my personal organization as well. We also use Bridge to shuffle assets around from Photoshop to Dreamweaver to Illustrator to .NET Studio, and other programs, while tracking who's checked what in Cue or VSS, so I probably use Bridge a little differently and I am more familiar with it.