Photoshop Bridge or Photoshop Lightroom - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008   #11
Llama

CamelKarma: 2460
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Photoshop Bridge or Photoshop Lightroom

Now I see why Bridge is more important to you. I know that the integration with the Adobe suite and Vc is obviously better with Bridge as Lr does not have any!
EOS 5D MkII with grip| EOS 7D with Grip | EF 24-105 f4L IS | EF 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | EF 50 f/1.4 | EF 85 f1.8 | EF 100 f2.8 Macro | EF 300 f4L IS | EF 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 28-75 f2.8 | Canon 580EX | Sigma EF500 DG Super | Lightsphere II | Stofen Diffuser | Epson P-2000 |Manfroto 055 ProB Tripod w/488RC4 Head | Epson R2400 | Lexmark C544dn | Lowepro Nova 5 AW | Lowepro Mini Trekker AW | Elinchrom 400BX x2 + 500BRxi x 1 strobes | Sekonic L-358 | Various studio accessories
EOS_JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #12
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

Plop down another vote for Lightroom. Easily.

I think if you do not have a grasp of Bridge, then Lightroom is the way to go. It offers more and is easier to use, in my opinion. Everything you may need to do is probably inside of Lightroom.

One would imagine that Lightroom will only get stronger as more and more plug-ins are written specifically for it. There are now a few powerful ones, and they should improve also. Hooks into SmugMug, Zenfolio and other sharing sites are now available, a new HDR-like plug-in is now available and should improve, and more.

Lightroom can easily be a one-stop tool for your photographic needs.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #13
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

Here's how I see it. Photoshop is a state of the art image editor that comes with that Bridge thing. Bridge was the file manager, but Adobe Suite users were sick of a separate file manager (myself included) for for each app in the suite. So Adobe ripped it out of them and made it one single app itself. Bridge was born. They also bought Macromedia as well, adding their list of apps in the "Suite." Millions of "Photoshop only" probably didn't understand this, and shifted to using the OS file manager by using File > Open in Photoshop's menu. All the while missing out on the fact that Bridge has a lot of power. There is a lot to image editing, and Photoshop does it all, but that's really all it does.

Now Lightroom comes along, and tries to be a whole lotta things to a whole lotta new digital photographers, and does it well. Adobe buys Rawshooter, people are pissed, so that becomes part of LR. Many want the functions of Bridge, but not all that's in Photoshop. There is a huge market of digital shooters that do not want to invest financially and time wise into PS. Many of these shooters want a DAM. They also want to be able to bolt directly into web services, even make web pages and slide shows. They might even think its nice to order prints through one program. LR does all this, and most of these things it does really well. Oh, bye the way, LR is pretty reasonable priced and offers a quality work flow that a pro would use. I can dig it - I just don't need it.

Jeez, that almost sounds Microsoftarian.
Old 03-20-2008   #14
Administrator

If you need to pixel edit, Photoshop is your tool. It is an editor, not a developer. Learn it and love it. Bridge comes with it. Love them both. Have fun.

If you are the type to edit your images without getting down to some tiny dot level, then Lightroom is your friend. If you need to find your images of Aunt Mary and actually tag them with appropriate keywords upon importation, Lightroom does that well. If you want to find all your images taken with that special lens of yours, Lightroom does that. If you want to print and make some slide shows, and upload them to your website, Lightroom does that. And it does more.

Old 03-20-2008   #15
Camel Breath

Quote:
If you are the type to edit your images without getting down to some tiny dot level, then Lightroom is your friend. If you need to find your images of Aunt Mary and actually tag them with appropriate keywords upon importation, Lightroom does that well. If you want to find all your images taken with that special lens of yours, Lightroom does that. If you want to print and make some slide shows, and upload them to your website, Lightroom does that.
Photoshop does all this as well. Though not as elegantly as LR.
Old 03-20-2008   #16
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 55

Amazing that nobody here seems to be using Photo Mechanic for photo management, previewing, sorting, tagging, etc. etc. sofar. I do. And I'm very content with it. It's superfast. Drop a folder with a thousand multi-MB JPGs and RAW files on its icon and they pop up on the screen in 1 second flat!
Integrates seamlessly with CS3/PS10.
It's also half the price of LR...

Let me know if you want to try a permanent copy (for OSX).
Alfred D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #17
Camel Breath

Actually, I tried it and loved it. It is flat out the fastest and best in breed for those tasks. It was just too expensive at that time. I know there more than a few here that use it. Michael (cyclohexane) uses it.
Old 03-21-2008   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred D. View Post
Amazing that nobody here seems to be using Photo Mechanic for photo management, previewing, sorting, tagging, etc. etc. sofar. I do. And I'm very content with it. It's superfast. Drop a folder with a thousand multi-MB JPGs and RAW files on its icon and they pop up on the screen in 1 second flat!
Integrates seamlessly with CS3/PS10.
It's also half the price of LR...
Hows does it do with RAW file developing or post processing? It doesn't? As a browser it is super fast and it has a following. So if one wants a browser that is very fast and functional, and another program to do any RAW developing, and maybe another to do other editing, then it is a very viable tool....

Old 03-21-2008   #19
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

I started with PS Elements Organizer, moved to Bridge with the upgrade to CS2 and tried the trial of LR shortly after it came out. Shooting RAW at the time and not liking ACR much (from an interface perspective, not results), I stuck with Lightroom.

Once you make the decision and work with it, though, it's better just to stay with it than switch too often, imo. The newer version of Bridge is nice and I'd probably be happy with it now, understanding more about it and looking at the new features. The features in LR, though, outweigh trouble of going through a change for me. And LR is getting more and more customized with the SDK and new community contributions that are coming out, such as the ability to build a webpage (not gallery...PAGE) straight from LR using Turning Gates Page Builder.
Old 03-21-2008   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.austin View Post
And LR is getting more and more customized with the SDK and new community contributions that are coming out, such as the ability to build a webpage (not gallery...PAGE) straight from LR using Turning Gates Page Builder.
And this HDR one discussed here:

http://photocamel.com/forum/image-ed...-hdr-like.html

Olympus Passion Magazine
Idiot Savant AND trouble-maker...

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: