Cataloguing Software
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2008   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 17
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Cataloguing Software

I've searched the threads an was only able to find some from a few years ago on Cataloguing software. I'm looking for something that will index photos by keyword, tags, etc. I am currently using Photoshop Album, but it seems to be getting a little flaky. I see that Elements now seems to have many of the features that PSA had. I wonder if I can import my PSA database into Elements.

Mark

Old 02-20-2008   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Cataloguing Software

Elements has Organizer, which is a fairly nice cataloging system. I don't know about importing your existing database, however.

Bridge is included with Photoshop CS3. At one time, I preferred Elements Organizer over Bridge. Today, they're probably pretty close in feature sets.

Lightroom is a standalone cataloging/image management application with developing and output (web, slideshow and printing) modules. It's my app of choice among the three.

This concludes my personal experience but several others can help out with this. You might expand your search for keywords "catalog", "image management", "organize photo", "bridge", "lightroom", and get more options, too.
Old 02-21-2008   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 15
Editing OK?: Yes

I'm using The Bridge and find it is an okay program. It lets you keyword, rank and the metadata palette is what I like to use the most. You can also assign copyright to images in the Bridge.

Carol
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 17

Ok so I've played with Bridge a little bit. I'd rate it OK as well for what I need.

BTW - I did use some other keyword searches on the forum, but again most of the posts are 2 or 3 years old. Hoping to find some magic wand and a little newer.

Thanks for the input
immark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 79
Editing OK?: Ask first

Microsoft Expression Media (Formerly iView Media Pro) is pretty good and is very quick, certainly quicker than Lightroom IMO, although I use Lightroom for its other features as well so have stuck with that.
Old 02-23-2008   #6
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 112

I have been using ACDSee for many years. I have upgraded to ACDSee Pro 2. It is very fast and stable on Vista. Reads Raw files and many other file types too, including video.

ACD Systems International Online Store - Product Information
Nikon D3, Nikon 17-35 2.8, Nikon 24-70 2.8, Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR II, Hensel Integra 500 Pro Plus MonoLights, Hensel Porty Premium Plus Ringflash... and more accessories and light modifiers than I know what to do with...

http://www.modelmayhem.com/MuseLightPhoto

http://www.onemodelplace.com/member.cfm?P_ID=115569
MuseLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No

I'm using two programs:

The input images (compare them to negatives in the analog way) are categorized with Imatch.

The output images are categorized with Idimager

I used an UID from the filename that looks like YYYYMMDDHHMMSS_counter.extension to trace the output back to the input.
Old 02-24-2008   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 15
Editing OK?: Yes

MuseLight.

Do you use ACDSee with Photoshop CS3? I saw a few presentations recently that used this and they were great. Do you know if I install this, will I still be able to use the XP system to copy photos?One of my camera clubs,will only accept photos that are copied with XP or Vista.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: