GIMP vs Photoshop...
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 136
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default GIMP vs Photoshop...

I've started playing around using GIMP to edit my pictures (does layers, cloning...), which is great as it's legally free But most people on here seem to use Photoshop or CS (not sure what this is), which appears (from my limited experience) to have basically the same features, but costs serious $$. Is GIMP a solid photoediting software or is it worh the $ to upgrade to photoshop? (or something else). Any comments welcome.

Old 01-25-2008   #2
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 34
Default Re: GIMP vs Photoshop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechoption View Post
I've started playing around using GIMP to edit my pictures (does layers, cloning...), which is great as it's legally free But most people on here seem to use Photoshop or CS (not sure what this is), which appears (from my limited experience) to have basically the same features, but costs serious $$. Is GIMP a solid photoediting software or is it worh the $ to upgrade to photoshop? (or something else). Any comments welcome.
Hi Mech,

I don't know the GIMP, so can't compare its functionality to CS/PS'. However, I bet that in real life CS/PS's posted price is payed by less than 10% of its users. In my 20 year experience with it most users use (educationally) discounted versions, special offers, or pirated copies.
Maybe you can use the same m.o.
Know a college student that could get a copy at educational discount for you?

Or, if you run a Mac, let me know by PM. I may be able to help you.
W.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Smith View Post
Hi Mech,

I don't know the GIMP, so can't compare its functionality to CS/PS'. However, I bet that in real life CS/PS's posted price is payed by less than 10% of its users. In my 20 year experience with it most users use (educationally) discounted versions, special offers, or pirated copies.
Maybe you can use the same m.o.
Know a college student that could get a copy at educational discount for you?

Or, if you run a Mac, let me know by PM. I may be able to help you.
Wow. If I ever saw a public endorsement for stealing...this is it.

Count me as one of the 10%, I guess. I used an upgrade offer from Adobe to move from Elements to CS2...then paid the upgrade price to move to CS3.
Old 01-25-2008   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 276

ive heard of GIMP and recently saw an article for a book on maximising its potential. i think the book is like $30 and comes with a version of the app on cd.i hear its quite capable, but nowhere near as robust as photoshop. from what i heard, its basically equvelent to elements, with a different UI (user interface). like brian said, i bought photoshop through an academic discount and its IMO the way to go. you get access to all the updates and are entilted to upgrades at a much cheaper price. there is a free download from the adobe website, if you want to try it out before you buy it, but i would recomend not using pirated copies.
zero rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008   #5
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.austin View Post
Wow. If I ever saw a public endorsement for stealing...this is it.
Friendly advice: don't apply for law school, Brian!

W.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No

The quality of the programs is not in the $$$.
Industry standards is someting that accounts for the $$$.

I use several editors, but most notably: Paintshop Pro: I can't really get accustomed to the workings of the GIMP.
Old 01-25-2008   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 105
Editing OK?: Yes

I found a nice book called Gimp 2 for Photographers, I understand that the gimp isn't far behind PS on features and there's even a version called gimpshop that makes the gimp very PS like in behavior.
Carl
carlalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #8
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 185474

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Smith View Post
Hi Mech,
In my 20 year experience with it most users use (educationally) discounted versions, special offers, or pirated copies.
This is from Computer Arts - The history of Photoshop

"It was 15 years ago in February that Adobe shipped version 1.0 of Photoshop".

I would have thought that you were a lot younger than you must be if you were using it back then.
Thunder_o_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #9
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes

I have GIMP, Corel Draw X3 suite, and CS3. All 3 will do most things equally well though each has its strong points. PS has the largest set of plugins, actions and user support as well as some of the better algorithms.

Draw, being a vector program does better at drawing, lettering and such and seamlessly integrates with the included PhotoPaint raster program, which is very similar to PS, though I think PS has a few more tools that are more useful to photographers like the HDRI merge and pretty decent auto corrections.

If you are making ad posters, greeting cards, printing scrapbook photo album pages, photo frames etc. then Draw seems best. PS seems best for touching up photos. For checking out microscope photos, I find myself using Gimp, combineZM (stacks images for greater depth of field) and Image-J.

The biggest advantage to PS is that you can say, "how do I do this?" and someone will likely pop up and say "Oh, here's an action to do that", while you are more likely to have to figure it out yourself with Corel Draw+PhotoPaint or Gimp.

Then there is PaintShopPro, which Corel took over from JASC. That seems more like Photoshop lite than it does PS Elements. It seems geared more towards photographers and has built-in red-eye and purple fringe filters etc. to simplify typical photo manipulations (I also like it for quick touch ups). Think some of the algorithms in PP and PS are a bit better though (for example... jpg compression and adaptive sharpen seem to produce slightly better results than PSP). PSP seems ideal for people who want a low cost way to touch up snapshots from super-zoom P&S cameras and need simple tools for purple fringe etc., though it also has enough power to do some serious pixel poking.
yuzuha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #10
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 136

Thanks for this input, seems I have lots of options. Also, it seems inconspicious in its absence, but I've also found Google's Picasa very capable when it comes to simple edits: Cropping, straightening, colour balance, automatic red-eye removal, sepai, soft-focus, sharpening, noise reduction... It also has an excellent in built-photo library viewer (and of course search feature).

And it comes at the right price - free (legally).

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: