GIMP vs Photoshop... - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2008   #21
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 136
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: GIMP vs Photoshop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_sly View Post
Really though, how many people want to play with layers and masking and all that crap? It's more fun to compose and shoot. Do it right and you just have to correct a little color here and there, maybe a little cropping, if that. Just my thoughts.t
I'm starting to feel that way after messing around with a PS demo - most of my favourite\best shots required just simple efforts from Google's Picasa (a little colour saturation, highlights/shadows and some cropping), and couldn't be improved by PS. PS seemed best at improving poor shots to good shots, but not great shots. I think 10 mins extra spent getting the composure/camera settings right before the shot is far more important/useful than 10 mins of post-processing?
Mechoption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #22
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
really though, how many people want to play with layers and masking and all that crap?
Apparently, quite a few, based on the feedback I receive from helping others with it.

Remember, if it isn't Scottish, its crap.
Old 02-15-2008   #23
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancho View Post
Photoshop Elements, Lightroom or CS3 will work fine for you. If you are interested in HDR, this was added to Photoshop in CS2 and continues. A better app is Dynamic Photo HDR, and the best is Photomatix.
Do yo have a preference between Dynamic Photo HDR or Photomatix? Do they do anything besides HDR. It appears that Dynamic is much more economical to buy?

Your thoughts?

Z
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #24
Camel Breath

I like DP HDR for anyone just interested in getting into HDR, but Photomatix is the most powerful I've tried so far. I've worked with six or seven different apps, and these two are way ahead of the pack when it comes to processing. DP HDR and Photomatix both have full featured demos, but DP HDR's only puts a tiny stamp in the corner of the final image, whereas Photomatix watermarks it all over the place. They are my two favorites. If I had to recommend one to you over the other, it would be DP HDR, since its so easy to use out of the gate. However, there are a ton of us at Photocamel doing some pretty wild things with Photomatix, and support for you is only a few posts away. Check out Jay's tuts in the HDR stickies.
Old 02-15-2008   #25
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

If one doesn't think layers and masks can make a difference, it might be because they haven't really learned those features. Even really good shots that have had some tweaking done with the likes of Picasa and such can be made even better by using some masking techniques.

But for the masses, what they have and do simple tweaks for is fine for them. But for those that really want to make wall hangers or sell, then masking is something that needs to be explored.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #26
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 711
Editing OK?: Yes

Personally, whenever I see someone pushing some open source program (Gimp, OpenOffice, etc.) the word "free" is always include in the same sentence. To me, "free" means it's free for a reason- it's ok, but not worth paying for.

The full PS is some serious money, even discounted. Get Elements. Unless you're a pro that has to have the full PS, Elements does the same things, same menus, and is just as good. If you want to do HDR, get Photomatix. I just installed CS2 back on my computer after not having it on there for over a year. I'm not impressed. "Klunky" is the word that comes to mind. Will do anything, but 99% only need 20% of the program. I was surprised at how much Elements is identical to PS... and much easier to work with.

PSPX2 is also very good, and that version has a pretty good HDR function built in.

Lightroom- if you have lots of photos that need organization AND you want to be able to easily make global changes to pictures (much easier and better than PS), get it. Period.

The killer, most cost effective combo: Lightroom, Elements, and Photomatix. Ain't nuthin you can't do then.

(But personally I use PSP the most )
"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." ~Ansel Adams
Goofup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #27
Administrator

If PSE has the same menus and you were surprised how much Elements is identical to PS, how can it be much easier to work with? That doesn't make much sense in that context.

I don't think most need PSCS3, but it IS the de-facto standard and more help is available online for it than any other. PSE is a great alternative and fits most peoples needs. GIMP is a pretty good program and is well liked by those who are anti-windows or are "into" the Linux or open source world.

I settled on doing most of my work in Lightroom, and any polish is done in an old version of PS. GIMP can do a lot of stuff, but help isn't that readily available.

Old 02-16-2008   #28
Llama

CamelKarma: 17041
Editing OK?: Yes

I'm surprised how negative this thread is toward the Gimp .... it almost seems like some of you just want to bash it since you paid big money for your editing programs.

I have used the Gimp for probably about 5 years now, exclusively. I used it on Windows first.. but it's much more stable on Linux (which my computer programming husband loves to play with.. so our family is a linux run family these days).

If you think that the Gimp is missing huge amounts of features.. then you probably haven't seen the newest version as yet. GIMP 2.4 Release Notes

A great review of the Gimp http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/10/23/gimp-24-preview/

a Gimp Tutorial on photo retouching: Red Hat Magazine | How to touch-up portraits with GIMP

There is plenty of support and help for The Gimp if you look in the right places:
GIMP Talk

So before you knock it.. try it.. or at least acknowledge it is a VERY capable program.. in case you don't care to follow any of the links provided.. here's a brief description of only a few of The Gimp's features these days:

Fully supports the use of layers, dodging and burning, cloning, healing tool, accepts some PS plugins even, etc I could go on and on... or you could just go read about it if your interested.

I totally would pay for a program like the Gimp if it were not already available.

Also if you don't like UFraw (which I didn't either), there is now 'RAWTherapee' which is a awesome application.. that I use all the time! (also open source, but a donation is requested, but not required)

Sure.. the paid programs work too.. but so do open source programs..
*Hoping to recapture the joy of photography, whilst living in chaos ..* Gear List: Canon 5d Classic, Canon Rebel XSI, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens; Canon 50mm 1.8 STM lens; Canon 85 1.8 lens; Sigma 100-300mm f/4.5-6.7 DL lens, Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash, Panasonic DMC FZ200 Optical Zoom 35mm equiv. 24-600mm.
sonshine_rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #29
Camel Breath

If they can do all that, why no 16 bit support?
Old 02-16-2008   #30
Administrator

I think your post is a bit over the top. There are posts in here that state GIMP is a good program. It is capable and a good alternative to the higher priced programs that people dumped their money on.

Help is available and it was stated also. It just isn't available at a lot of places like the PS family of products are. Might be more comparable to help available for PSP. Either way, if you see PS "formulas", you can apply them to GIMP or PSP, in most cases.

Another issue you bring up, and it is important in the GIMP world is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshine_rae View Post
I used it on Windows first.. but it's much more stable on Linux
There are NOT a bazillion people with a Linux box or wishing to get one to do the editing. In the Linux world, GIMP is awesome. On Windows, it DOES suffer a bit and can lead to frustration, and thus the users will move to PSE or something else.

GIMP is a good tool and it is free and it gets better all the time. Hopefully the whole "open source" idea continues it progression and makes a much bigger dent in the software world...

Olympus Passion Magazine
Idiot Savant AND trouble-maker...

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: