GIMP vs Photoshop... - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2008   #11
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 52
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: GIMP vs Photoshop...

Helpful thread! So which photoshop application is best for photography...I went out to their site and there are several options. Is it PS CS3 or the Design premium?
Photoshop
CS3 Extended

Z
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #12
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Helpful thread! So which photoshop application is best for photography...I went out to their site and there are several options. Is it PS CS3 or the Design premium?
Photoshop
CS3 Extended

Z
Check the features on them and decide what you want to do with it. For most 2D work, CS3 Standard will suit just fine. But Design Premium is a larger collection of apps, not just Photoshop.
Old 02-14-2008   #13
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 52

I really am not sure which one I would need. I definately want to do HDR. Currently I am working with CaptureNX soley so I need some else.

Z
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #14
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawk View Post
This is from Computer Arts - The history of Photoshop

"It was 15 years ago in February that Adobe shipped version 1.0 of Photoshop".

I would have thought that you were a lot younger than you must be if you were using it back then.
1.0 launched in 1990, or 18 years ago. I started using at v.4.0. I have used the Gimp. Its a great app, but it ain't no Photoshop. Not even close. The fact that it cannot handle bit depths greater than 8 bits/channel make it useless for me.
Old 02-14-2008   #15
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I really am not sure which one I would need. I definately want to do HDR. Currently I am working with CaptureNX soley so I need some else.

Z
Photoshop Elements, Lightroom or CS3 will work fine for you. If you are interested in HDR, this was added to Photoshop in CS2 and continues. A better app is Dynamic Photo HDR, and the best is Photomatix.

Last edited by jfrancho; 02-14-2008 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: added LR to the list -- woops!
jfrancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #16
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 19

Hey Mechoption,
I'm new around here and just read this thread. Don't give up on the Gimp. It's an awesome program! Been using it for about a year now. Not much choice, I'm running linux. I did have windows and mac versions of Elements before that though for years. Basically, just got tired of paying for updates (os and apps) and not seeing any real gain. Yeah, maybe it is a little quirky, but have patience with it and you can do just about anything you want with it. Really though, how many people want to play with layers and masking and all that crap? It's more fun to compose and shoot. Do it right and you just have to correct a little color here and there, maybe a little cropping, if that. Just my thoughts.

t
t_sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #17
Camel Breath

I guess you don't shoot raw too much. If you're using a compact camera, the benefits may be minimal, but if you're using a DSLR, you pretty much need at least Lightroom or Elements.
Old 02-14-2008   #18
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 19

And I thought this was a nice neighborhood Yep, I got one of them DSLR's. Ever heard of UFRaw? I didn't think so.

t
t_sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #19
Camel Breath

Yes, and it sucked.
Old 02-14-2008   #20
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 107
Editing OK?: Ask first

Dear Mechoption
I have tried various Photoediting softwares which are now avialable. Each one has its plus points.
Photoshop is industry standard but it also takes lot of your resources (money for the package, a better Pc with lots of memory and a bigger harddisk and lot of time to learn the things).
In choosing anything the first question one has to answer is "is it really necessary?". so if you are having lot of time and energy then go in for CS3 with Lightroom. Otherwise you can do the same things with GiMP.

Yaksha

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: