Do you use anti-virus software
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

View Poll Results: Do I need antivirus software?
Yes, you should have it installed at all times 77 86.52%
If you don't visit questionable sites, you don't need it 5 5.62%
You don't need it at all 3 3.37%
You can just do a scan from time to time 5 5.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2007   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1033
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Do you use anti-virus software

Is anyone here brazen enough to use a Windows computer these days without anti-virus software. I have a new machine and am tempted not to install it because it always seems to cause problems.

Old 09-03-2007   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 33121
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Do you use anti-virus software

I always have anti-virus running as a precaution. Better safe, right?

“Light makes photography. Embrace the light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography.” ---George Eastman
Naturalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

"Problems" is relative. I run AVG Free Edition with no issues. It's enough for the type of stuff I do at home. At work, I used to run Norton AV Corporate Edition (which is different than you'll find for the home user). We didn't have issues there, either.

There are several AV threads in this forum. Browse through and you can review some good threads with lots of personal experience from others.
Old 09-03-2007   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 12

I haven't used any "constantly running in the background" anti-virus software for several years now. Mainly due to two reasons:

1. It usually hogs resources mercilessly, and slows everything down.

2. You don't really need it, if you generally avoid Microsoft "go ahead and run active content sent via e-mail" applications and other Microsoft "extreme target" applications -- Internet Explorer, of course.

I've used Opera as my web browser essentially since it was originally released, and I use a program called "The Bat!" for my e-mail application. Opera appears to be considerably more "secure" than IE, and "The Bat!" absolutely, positively will not run any "active content" whatsoever -- it will not even display images sent "via links on a remote server" rather than sent as part of the message.

So, I use Opera as much as possible (I have to drag out IE every now and then for the "exclusive" web developers out there, the scum), and I'm very safe and secure with "The Bat!". Add in a common-sense comprehension of what looks like spam (which I delete) as opposed to legitimate e-mail I expect to receive, and I just haven't wound up with any viruses or other nasty things, ever.

I'll go to Symantec's site and run their free scanner maybe once a year, and that always just confirms that I've got nothing nasty on my system.

"It's that easy," for me -- and it lets my system run "full speed ahead" without the hefty impact of anti-virus software running in the background all the time.
thoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes

Honestly I've been running every installation of Vista that I have (probably three) without antivirus of any kind. Why? I think it's because of the supposed extra protection you get from the UAC (user account control). I haven't even run a spyware scan on these machines. Maybe I should?
Old 09-04-2007   #6
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 15232
Editing OK?: No

I started using Avast after using Norton for years. It's also freeware.

Project4145

Lee4145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007   #7
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 822

I use AVG on all machines at home
davew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007   #8
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939

I voted, "Yes, you should have it installed at all times," however, I don't use it on my main photography machine. I do use it on my work laptop, and my secondary PC. Do as I say, not as I do!
Old 09-04-2007   #9
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 12

Used to use Norton Corp at work. Tried Avast on a few 'clean' machines according to Norton. Avast found several viruses. Have removed Norton from ALL machines and went with Avast. Originally tried AVG first, but it didn't work well with Mozilla Thunderbird (pre v1.). Otherwise it also works well.
Old 09-06-2007   #10
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 228901

Anybody tried Norton 360 yet and what's your thoughts about it? I tried AVG but it seems to slow down everything.

felix.reichardt is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: