Can I use 8 and 16 bit apps for the same image?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Question Can I use 8 and 16 bit apps for the same image?

I'm experimenting with Affinity and ACDSee to organize and edit my images. Each of these programs works well with 16 bit images, but I've run into a challenge. Neither one of these apps easily allow me to get rid of glare on eyeglasses or eliminate glare from people's foreheads/noses/chins. In fact, very few apps support these tasks.

Photoshop and Photoshop Elements do a good job of correcting the above two problems. I don't however, want to buy Photoshop. Photoshop Elements (PSE) is a much more simple and inexpensive tool to get rid of glare on eyeglasses or eliminate glare from people's foreheads/noses/chins. PSE's editing functions in many cases however, support 8 bit rather than 16 bit images, so I'm considering using PSE only for getting rid of glare from eyeglasses, foreheads, chins and noses. Then, I'd convert the file back to 16 bit for archiving.

If I take a 16 bit image and upload it to PSE just to eliminate glare on eyeglasses or a hot-spot on someone's forehead/nose/chin and then return the revised image to Affinity or ACDSee, what effect will that have on the image?
How much quality loss will the image have if I put it through this work-flow?

Last edited by Mamiya2Nikon; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:00 PM.. Reason: attempted to move question to a different category in PhotoCamel
Mamiya2Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic:

Tags
16 bit, 8 bit, cloning, elements