Laptop recommendation - How do like your 15 inch laptop for photo and video editing?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2019   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 186457
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Laptop recommendation - How do like your 15 inch laptop for photo and video editing?

I have always used 17 inch laptops for photo and video editing.

My question is how like your 15 inch laptop for photo and video editing? Have you ever wished you had a bigger screen?

Which laptop computer would you recommend for both, photo and video editing?

Thanks so much!

haring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Default Re: Laptop recommendation - How do like your 15 inch laptop for photo and video editi

The size of the screen is dependent on your vision ability, and what program you are using in relation to the panels or sliders you'd use to edit images. A lot of people use Lightroom, as an example, and make the Develop adjustment panel wider so they have more control over the slider, but that limits the size of the image more, and it gets worse if they leave the other flyaway panels open.

15 inch is probably the smallest for anything major. For occasional or travel then 13 or 15 can work.... but for lots of editing and work, 17 is better.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 186457
Default Re: Laptop recommendation - How do like your 15 inch laptop for photo and video editi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
The size of the screen is dependent on your vision ability, and what program you are using in relation to the panels or sliders you'd use to edit images. A lot of people use Lightroom, as an example, and make the Develop adjustment panel wider so they have more control over the slider, but that limits the size of the image more, and it gets worse if they leave the other flyaway panels open.

15 inch is probably the smallest for anything major. For occasional or travel then 13 or 15 can work.... but for lots of editing and work, 17 is better.

Yes, I agree!!! I am a wedding photographer and I find that I don't need to zoom in all the time on the 17 screen.
Old 03-05-2019   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

I find it ok, but 17 inch screen would be better for sure
Old 03-05-2019   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120

I suppose it depends on the type of editing you're doing. I have a macbook pro 15" and it's ok. However, laptops are not really what I like.

For me, I hate to edit on a laptop. It's just too small for me. A laptop for me, just isn't something I like to do anything more than online stuff. For editing and doing real work, I want a desktop with a huge screen and a nice trackball or wacom. Without that it's a huge frustration.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019   #6
Alpaca

I just moved to a MacBook Pro 15 and is great. I do hook it up to my dual 27" Dell screens for most of my final editing. But after a shoot I sometimes proof with the client on the MacBook Pro 15". If I am on a multi day shoot I will do my edits on the Mac and upload to the client section of the web site to let them proof them and let me know what they want to use.

Not sure I would like a 17" laptop.

Scott
shamelin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019   #7
Alpaca

I use a 15" Lenovo for most work and it's been adequate. If I need major post work I connect to a pair of 26" external monitors. 15" laptops are boderline portable. I find 17's to be awkward at best.

Fresca

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: