Photoshop CS5 CS6 on Mojave
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2018   #1
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 14471388
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Photoshop CS5 CS6 on Mojave

Last week I upgraded my MacBook Air to Apple’s latest OS Mojave. It’s a beautiful interface for sure - and I really had no issues with the Upgrade process.

On the weekend, I photographed a group of people and opened a few of the different images, as layers in Photoshop - so I could change our a few of the heads for a perfect portrait. All went well, until I went to apply the Brush tool to my Mask. It was very slow. With each swipe the brush would dissappear and the circle of dots indicating that the application is busy, would display for a couple of seconds before settling down and showing my brush tool again.

I completed the job, but realized there must be some incompatibility with Mojave and my older non-subscription based copy of Photoshop CS6. This morning it was time to do a Google Search and see what I could come up with.

Actually there were many issues reported where PS CS5 wasn’t working at all. But someone came across a solution that got their Photoshop back up and running. In Mac System Preferences, click Security & Privacy. Then in the left panel, select Accessibility along with the Privacy tab. In their cases, Photoshop CS5 was listed there - Unchecked - under Allow the Apps Below to Control Your Computer. They Checked Photoshop, and we’re happy to find that their copy of Photoshop now worked. There is no explanation of why, that I can find.

And so I went into System and Preferences > Security & Privacy > Accessibility —- and sure enough Photoshop CS6 was sitting in the list Unchecked. I Unlocked the lock and Checked Photoshop CS6, opened some layers in PS, added a mask and started painting on the mask —- and the Brish worked properly without hesitation.

I’m sure there will be some here who have upgraded to Mojave, and who have chosen not to use Adobe’s subscription model. If after the OS Update, you are having issues with PS, you may want to give this method a try.

PHOTOSHOP CS6 with Layers and Layer Mask for blending

Painting on the Layer Mask, the Brush disappeared and Busy (circle of dots) for a couple of seconds before being able to resume

Fix PS issue in System and Preferences > Security & Privacy > Accessibility - add Check beside PS

Robert Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1004893
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Photoshop CS5 CS6 on Mojave

Thanks, I haven't downloaded the new OS yet but will keep in mind.

Olympus OMD EM-1, EPL1, standard kit lens, 17mm 1.8, 60mm macro, 75-300mm II, 45mm 1.8, Rokinon 7.5mm Fish Eye, lens cap lens, ec-14, Fl-36 flash, adapter, misc accessories.
mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5383739
Editing OK?: Ask First

Robert, it all sounds terribly complicated to me. For the past ten years I've been using Photoshop CS3 that does everything conceivable that I'd want it to do. I had a similar task of 'transplanting heads' in a set of group photos, really just a simple exercise in cutting & pasting. I find that the more bells & whistles that are added to apps, the sillier they become.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
pandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018   #4
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 14471388
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
Robert, it all sounds terribly complicated to me. For the past ten years I've been using Photoshop CS3 that does everything conceivable that I'd want it to do. I had a similar task of 'transplanting heads' in a set of group photos, really just a simple exercise in cutting & pasting. I find that the more bells & whistles that are added to apps, the sillier they become.
This tip isn’t related to the technique of replacing heads. It has to with a compatability fix so that Photoshop CS5 and CS6 and possibly other older applications that don’t work smoothly - can work on the latest macOS Mojave. I don’t believe that your CS3 will work on any of the new operating systems for Mac, so.the fix won’t be of much value to your setup.

I used to cut and paste heads as well. That’s one way of doing it and it works. BTW, Layer Masking isn’t a new bell and whistle in Photoshop. It is part of your version CS3 as well. It’s an extremely valuable feature in most photo editing applications for compositing, blending images, taking out backgrounds and much more.

————-

Robert Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: