Work Station/Workflow Suggestions
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2018   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Work Station/Workflow Suggestions

I'm currently using a 2010 imac, which for the most part has been ok. I can't complain too much about a system this old. I'm now waiting on Apple to see what their new imac looks like. I might get a PC if if not happy with the new imacs.

In the mean time, I've been thinking about my current set up and workflow and how to improve it. I currently have a low tech setup, where I have all my photos on an external HD (firewire 800, yea I know) that I edit from. I have another identical HD that I use to back up the first HD. I use Super Duper to clone the photos onto the backup drive.

After getting the new computer, I'm a little confused about which way to go as far as storage. I'm pretty much a hobbyist, and I use LR and PS for editing. I basically do some photo editing in LR, retouching in PS, some photo restoration, I also like to do some HDR work and panos.

The HDR's, panos and the photo restorations can bog the system down a bit, so I'm wondering what would be the best way to go with storage. Should I just get 2 separate drives, one HD to keep the photos on, and one for the back up, like I have now. Or should I go with a raid setup like synology or drobo or something like that and a backack up drive. I know the raid set up has faster transfer speeds theoretically, but would I see much real difference. Would it be enough speed difference to justify the more complex setup and maintaince of the raid system?

Another question I have is about using a scratch disc. Would using an ssd scratch disc have a big improvement when using LR and PS? Or would a raid0 setup have a bigger advantage? Or do people do both?

I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas. If I'm on the wrong track please point me in the right direction. I'd also love to hear what brands you might recommend.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6967624
Default Re: Work Station/Workflow Suggestions

PC versus MAC I'm not going to answer. Not even worth getting in to the discussion. Too much like Canon vs Nikon or JPG versus RAW and others. Find what works for you and work with it. The greener grass can have crabgrass in it later.

For storage deals, RAID is a good way to go. Can't just assume that putting everything on a drive is good enough, but for a lot of people it has been good enough and will stay that way. But, some think that you need redundancy, either because they just have a passion for it, or they were burned. Nikon is getting killed for their new mirrorless to have only one card slot. Fine. Most cameras DO only have one slot and I never saw a film camera with 2 strips of film in it so that you were guaranteed the shot on one of them.

But RAID is pretty good to have. Multiple drives is good. Multiple types of backup or copies is good. Offline and online (cloud) can be good too. Have to think and spend wisely on your storage needs and what you can work with.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018   #3
Llama

Well up till now, I've had my images on one external HD, and I clone that drive to make a back up. I have to say I really haven't used any type of raid. But I've been reading up it, and it's started me thinking of possibly going that route. There's a lot of options out there.

Mr. Pickles, do you have a raid set up? If so, do you like it? Do you have any recommendations?

Old 09-05-2018   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1461679

There are different kinds of RAID. RAID 0, for example, does nothing for redundancy and will die just as readily as a single disk drive. However, you can read and write data a lot faster with a RAID 0 setup than you can a single disk drive.

A RAID 1 setup is more like a redundant backup than RAID 0, but does nothing for read/write speed. There are other versions of RAID storage systems as well, such as RAID 5, which comes in several variations, some emphasizing speed, some emphasizing fault tolerance, but pretty much any flavor of RAID 5 is going to be more expensive than either RAID 0 or RAID 1.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018   #5
Llama

Thank you Scoundrel. I've been reading up a bit on the different types of raid set ups. Interesting stuff. Still not sure which way I'll wind up going. Any suggestions?

Old 09-07-2018   #6
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2scene View Post
Thank you Scoundrel. I've been reading up a bit on the different types of raid set ups. Interesting stuff. Still not sure which way I'll wind up going. Any suggestions?

In my case, I would be more interested in redundancy than speed, so RAID 0 wouldn't do it for me.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018   #7
Llama

Yea I hear about file safety. I was thinking of using raid0 for storing images and editing them off of. Then backing that up onto another drive.

Do you have any favorite brands?

Old 09-08-2018   #8
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2scene View Post
Yea I hear about file safety. I was thinking of using raid0 for storing images and editing them off of. Then backing that up onto another drive.

Do you have any favorite brands?

I have never (knowingly) used RAID technology before, so I can no direc recommendations. However, I received a e-mail from B&H Photo/video/pro audio a couple of days ago on RAID technology, including recommendations on RAID systems. Keep in mind that B&H sells RAID systems, so their recommendations have potential for bias from that cause.

Here is a somewhat high geek level introduction from Wikipedia about what the different RAID levels do and the downsides of using each.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: