Help! NEC vs. Dell vs. Sony Monitor
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2005   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 11
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Help! NEC vs. Dell vs. Sony Monitor

I know that there was a recent post on the "best" monitor for photo editing, but I was hoping to follow up with a more specific question in the wake of the untimely death of my Hitachi LCD. As a result of its demise (which I've been told cannot be repaired) I need a new monitor. I use the monitor principally for photo editing (I consider myself to be a "serious amature -- my wife and kids consider me to be "obsessed and deranged"). They use the monitor for games and text, respectively. I would like to find a monitor that will serve all of these applications reasonably well (although since I am paying for it, I would like to err on the side of high-quality color rendering, rather than a fast refresh rate).

Presently, I have narrowed my choices down the following: NEC LCD 1970GX, Dell UltraSharp 1950 FP, ViewSonic VG910 and Sony SDM-HS95P

Does anyone have any opinions on these monitors? I am leaning towards the Dell (and would consider moving up to the 20" Ultrasharp because of the current discount) based upon price and reviews. However, are there any other LCDs that I should consider? Any comments would be greatly appreciated, as I have to make a decision in the near future -- several rebate programs expire at the end of this month.

-- Randy

Old 10-14-2005   #2
dc2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 290
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Help! NEC vs. Dell vs. Sony Monitor

I recently asked a question on monitors and resolution ,
Although Im reasonably happy with my Dell 20inch ultrasharp I find If I try to use it at a highish screen resolution I find all the pallets in photoshop shrink to small for me to be comfortable to use them

All comments welcome and appreciated
London England
Canon 1Ds2
I lost faith in religion as a child when I saw a lightning conductor being fitted to the local church.
RSPB Member.
dc2 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: