Processing Software
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2018   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 28004
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Processing Software

Who likes what and why? I am thinking of investing in something new.

I have used PS and Lightroom. Meh. For me, PS is more of a PITA. I have CS3 that I use when I need to do graphic work, but not so much with photos. New versions have more bells and whistles than I want. And, ornery old cuss that I am, I did not like Adobe's cloud thing. I backup my stuff on a 4 TB external drive and don't appreciate paying someone to access my own work.

I have been stuck on the old Apple Aperture program for years and I am sad that they have stopped supporting it. Picktoral stinks. I hate that it is pitched to the lowest common denominator.

Is there anything out there that is similar to Aperture? should I maybe give Lightroom another try?

I am not one to do a lot of post-processing anyway. I am old-school enough to think it should come out of the camera the way you envision the shot. I may tweak something a little if there is no other way to save the image, but that is about it.

I am using an iMac with Sierra and 16 Gb of Ram. Other details available on request.

Old 01-20-2018   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120
Default Re: Processing Software

For the price, the Adobe PS & LR CC combo is a no brainer.

Yes, you should get things done while shooting in camera. But with product photography that is almost impossible. You'll always have stuff to fix. You'll need to remove lint, or fix some sort of defect in the product, or the lighting, or a wrinkle. There is always something.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

If you can get by without the whole package, there used to be Photoshop Elements, which offers a fair amount of capability suitable for most image editing tasks for a lot less than the full-featured Photoshop price.

For professional photographers, Rob's endorsement of Photoshop and LIghtroom may be justified. However, I have considered Adobe's consideration of the customer suspect from way back in the early 1990s, when intrusive conditions for licensing the use of PostScript left a really sour taste in my mouth. Adobe's lack of transparency became too much even for Apple, which briefly broke with Adobe a bit later in favor of a competing (and more transparent) standard. My trust and confidence in Adobe has failed to improve greatly, partly from the renewed hits taken by recurring security problems with its Flash player.

For this reason, I have tended to avoid Adobe despite its nearly universal usage among professional photographers for image editing. I have instead opted for Corel Paint Shop Pro for heavy image editing. I have also used Corel Photo-Paint in the past and the Gimp, a publicly developed and maintained software package popular among the Linux crowd but found Gimp too difficult to learn. For RAW conversion and preliminary editing, I have found Canon Digital Photo Professional to be suitable, especially in its latest incarnation, and it is free to licensed users of Canon cameras, though it works only with Canon formats.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018   #4
Vicuna

I am a Nikon kind of gal, so Canon wouldn't work for me. I didn't know Corel was still around. I played around with it years ago but never quite got the hang of it.

I agree with the suspicions about Adobe. I don't like to be backed into a corner and required to use certain products without any flexibility. If I had the time and temperament I would most likely be running Linux OS now, but just don't have the patience to make the switch.
JanetP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 792881

Adobe Type Manager was a huge memory hog and they would charge $149 for one font. I switched to Macromedia at one point when they were writing 32bit programs while Adobe was still doing 16bit. I hardly use Photoshop anymore (CS4). Darktable (free) for RAW is now on Windows. I been using it with Linux for about 5 years. Gimp is on Windows too.
Gregw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 6146683
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetP View Post
I am a Nikon kind of gal, so Canon wouldn't work for me. I didn't know Corel was still around. I played around with it years ago but never quite got the hang of it.

I agree with the suspicions about Adobe. I don't like to be backed into a corner and required to use certain products without any flexibility. If I had the time and temperament I would most likely be running Linux OS now, but just don't have the patience to make the switch.

I'm very fond of Nikon's free viewNX-i for editing raw files. You can modify exposure, white balance, sharpening, highlights, shadows, contrast, and saturation. I don't usually need to do much else. For HDR I use the free enfuse GUI.
Mike67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018   #7
Vicuna

Thanks. will look it up.
Old 01-20-2018   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No

ON1 software has a package out that is meant as a challenge to Lightroom (Photoshop to?). It is relatively inexpensive. It runs on both Mac and PCs. You can check here - https://www.on1.com/products/photo-raw/specs/ .

You might also want to check out Luminar 2018 by Macphun software. It runs on both Macs and PCs - https://macphun.com/luminar

Hope this helps.

WesternGuy

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018   #9
Vicuna

Just downloaded the Nikon software. It looks like it will be sufficient for the kind of things I do. My big beef with Aperture is that I have to export everything before I can post it and I foresee hours of exporting, although I like the way it organizes files.

Thanks a million, Mike. I would hug your neck if I could. I have so much going on that I can't spend the time with photography the way I would like to. Who ever said being retired was a life of leisure?
Old 01-21-2018   #10
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetP View Post

Corel didn't develop the original Paint Shop Pro but instead bought it from Jets And Software Company (JASC). It is a different product, though Corel now sells both Photo-Paint and Paint Shop Pro.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: