WOW, what a difference
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2017   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 1012912
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default WOW, what a difference

what a difference 8 years makes in computer technology!

Luckily I have a very good friend for longer than my computer is old in the tech business. Took my 8 year old windows 7 in to him to upgrade as some of the new software would no longer upgrade and new hardware would not run. He took a very quick look and just said I should know better

As I had originally thought it was about a wash if I upgrade or start over. Well for aabout 50 buck more I started over.

He had gottten in some refurbed Dell Precisions. here are the basics

Dual processor quad core
16 gig ram
256 gig virtual system drive
two 1 TB backup and data drives.

Already had the dual 22 inch monitors

Not only does windows load in like 10 seconds but it seems even internet pages load faster.

Still have to re calibrate the monitors. Load software etc.

Just wanted to share

Thanks

Old 12-21-2017   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 19107
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: WOW, what a difference

Oh my, wouldn't that be lovely? My poor 10-year-old Win7 could use a good overhaul.

Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom. Aristotle
ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ
Bunny N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 343
Editing OK?: Ask First

Just dont load windows 10 all it seems to want to do is update every other day and its slow
Photonewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No

Very nice. You will also find that the new software apps are also getting much bigger - more hard drive space, more memory space - it just goes on and on. I use Photoshop and Lightroom and a newer digital camera and those files can get huge and the Photoshop files can grow like weeds.

WesternGuy

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 9679634

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photonewbie View Post
Just dont load windows 10 all it seems to want to do is update every other day and its slow
It's funny, but I hear so many people saying similar things to that above - but my experience of W10 has been the exact opposite. It may be something to do with my PC (or other people's ?) rather than W10.
My PC was built to my spec, not a particularly high one either, just slightly odd hardware requirements. The ONLY delivered software in it was W7 - I put Firefox, Thunderbird, Photoshop, Anti-Virus, etc, etc in myself - absolutely NO bloatware anywhere. W10 appeared, which I put on my laptop, which was running W8 (Ugh !) inside a W7 "shell" - after a few months of reasonably satisfactory performance I then put W10 on my PC.
Since then it has performed superbly, apart from last week's update (which took about 2 hours), all updates have gone in almost unnoticed by me.
BUT - it is a different story with my laptop's updates, with a lot of updates which seem to go on for ever - in fact they only finish when I shut the thing down !! My laptop was bought "off the shelf" with all the usual junk pre-installed - most of which, I think I removed - or did I ??
I have become convinced that the main requirement for good W10 performance is a "clean" PC.

Last edited by moonrakerz; 12-25-2017 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: Amand
moonrakerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 791189

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrakerz View Post
It's funny, but I hear so many people saying similar things to that above - but my experience of W10 has been the exact opposite.// - absolutely NO bloatware anywhere.
Bloatware, or "Value Added Software" as it is called can really kill a system. When I got my laptop a year ago, I replaced the TB hard drive with an SSD. I used my Windows 10 licence to download a clean copy of 10 directly from Microsoft. Then installed it on the SSD and made the TB drive an external. Last weeks update was less than a half hour but I wasn't timing it.

Greg, I'm not really sure what you mean by a "256 gig virtual system drive"?
Gregw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017   #7
Llama

CamelKarma: 1012912
Editing OK?: Yes

sorry if my tech jargon is lacking. I mean that the system drive is a RAM drive with no moving parts. does that help?

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: