Correcting defocusing and motion blur
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2017   #1
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1467548
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Correcting defocusing and motion blur

When correcting focusing errors and motion blur, getting it right is the first time is of course the best way, and sometimes we must take what we can get, no matter how bad or simply discard an image as hopeless. In between are those images we would really like to keep and the blur isn't entirely hopeless but is still bad enough to be annoying. For such times, it is handy to have a deblurring tool in your bag to salvage such images. My preferred tool for this particular purpose is Focus Magic, which, despite its limitations, works about as well as anything else I have tried. Here are some samples of images, definitely not selected for optimal performance, but pictures I nevertheless wanted to save.

First is an example of an image showing deblurring. This was a manual focus job where I missed the focus a bit. Actually, i may go back and reshoot this image; but for now, the reworked image will do and it illustrates the capability of this software package. Thhe first pair of pictures is a resized crop from the original 4000 x 6000 pixel image, before and after running through Focus magic:

I1704rs.jpg

I1704rF2s.jpg

And here is a before-and-after pixel crop of the original images:

IMG_1704rk.jpg

IMG_1704rF2k.jpg

Here is a pair of pixel crops of another part of the images, showing artifacts that may show up in the specular highlights:

IMG_1704rK2.jpg IMG_1704rF2k2.jpg

Old 12-19-2017   #2
Photocamel Master

Default Re: Correcting defocusing and motion blur

Here is an example of motion blur rather than defocusing. In the small versions, the entire 4000 x 6000 pixel was used. Often, but not always, the camera movement approximates a constant angular velocity motion blur, but in this case the blur path has a hook on it. This complicates the reconstruction process somewhat and limits the quality of the results, but this is a real life example and not a laboratory specimen. This is about the worst amount of blur I would consider trying to reconstruct with this process. In this case, the pixel crop was further reduced by a factor of 2 to show enough of the image to show a fair selection of the artifacts to be expected.

I1701rs.jpg

I1701rFs.jpg

Crops:

I1701rks.jpg

I1701rFks.jpg

The sort of artifacts that show up in the specular highlights for refocused images can also show up in motion deblurred images.

It should also be pointed out that excessive pixel noise or its film-based analog graininess, will produce a coarse and displeasing texture in the image, limiting the image's sharpness and smoothness. For this reason, if noise reduction is also necessary, results are usually better if the noise reduction is applied before the detail enhancement.

I invite others to supply examples of other resolution and sharpness enhancing treatments and techniques for comparison. you are also welcome to use my "before" examples for your own sharpness/resolution enhancements.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

I seen this user at Imaging USA and looks amazing. Topaz InFocus - Rescue blurred images and sharpen your photos

Scott
shamelin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018   #4
Photocamel Master

You have my permission to use my pixel crops in this thread and run them through InFocus as a demo. If it works significantly better than FocusMagic, I might consider switching.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
You have my permission to use my pixel crops in this thread and run them through InFocus as a demo. If it works significantly better than FocusMagic, I might consider switching.
I do not have a the demo just seen Topaz at the Expo and thought to mention their software. I was amazed at the demo they were demoing.

Scott
shamelin73 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: