UPS
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2016   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default UPS

As in Uninterrupted Power Supply.

To make a long story short. We have a summer house in the mountains of the Mediterranean, where electric supply is kind of spotty. With a laptop it's not an issue. However, I want to use a 27 inches monitor there (an iMac to be exact).

So my questions is: Is there a powerful enough UPS unite that can hold charge for 10+ minutes for a desktop? A desktop with a 27 inches monitor?

Cheers

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1833
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: UPS

Have you considered a small generator set to cut in when mains drops out. This would give you power throughout the property?
Wee man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120

Yes, there are ups that will power you that long. I forget what ups I had years ago, but it was good for 90 mins. They sell them is various sizes, the bigger the ups the more time you get, and the more they cost. The bigger ones are surprisingly heavy too.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016   #4
Camel Breath

Cheers, Wee man and Rob.

We don't have one, but TWO big mama generators. Each can provide electricity for a whole neighborhood. Combined, we can power the whole part of that mountain.

It's not about supply, it's about the electrical interposition, as short as it might be.
Old 10-21-2016   #5
Llama

Also the ups acts as a buffer for the electricity getting to your computer. If there's a surge it brings it back down into line, and also if there's a drop it bumps it back up. So the amount of electricity getting to your computer stays pretty constant.

Old 10-21-2016   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

UPS units are available for 1 minute on up to 90 or more.... just depends how much money and space you have. If the power goes out, if you want the monitor to keep going, you need to find out how long you want to sit there working on it. The laptop has the battery, but the monitor needs the UPS.

I wouldn't plug the laptop in to the UPS however, as both together can drain the UPS reserve quicker.... or if the UPS kicks in, you unplug the laptop.

Also, keep in mind that over time the UPS battery will drain and not charge fully so it will degrade over time. So if you want one for 30 minutes, buy one that lasts 45 out of the box so that it will be good 5 years from now....

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes

The thing to remember about a UPS is they really aren't designed to work from as much as they are there to give you time to safely save and shut down the hardware, there by keeping you from having data loss or hardware failure.

If you continue to work on them the power draw is much higher lowering your useable time.

If you get one make sure to get one that has user replaceable batteries. More value for you money considering that the batteries only last about 5 years.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016   #8
Camel Breath

Cheers, everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphonslair99 View Post
The thing to remember about a UPS is they really aren't designed to work from as much as they are there to give you time to safely save and shut down the hardware, there by keeping you from having data loss or hardware failure.
That's exactly what I want the UPS for. Just few minutes (5-10) to power everything down and disconnect the external HD.
Old 10-22-2016   #9
Llama

If I'm remembering correctly, the ups I had also came with software that would monitor if the power went off and the ups turned on. So if you're not home, and the power goes out, the ups will communicate with your computer, and realize no one is using it. It then assumes you're not home to power the computer down, so it automatically safely shuts it down after so many minutes. I think it might have even been able to re-boot the computer once the power came back up as well too, if I'm remembering it correctly. It's been a long time since I used it now.

Old 10-22-2016   #10
Camel Breath

Cheers, Rob.

Any recommended brand and/or capacity.

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: