Dell 24" monitor
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2007   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7568
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Dell 24" monitor

I am looking a the new 24" Dell monitor for my photo editing and wonder if there are any thoughts good or bad.
Also noted there are 2 different ones; 2405FPW and the 2407WFP. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks for your help, Best wishes.

Old 03-06-2007   #2
Photocamel Muse

CamelKarma: 61445
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Dell 24" monitor

I'm interested too. I'm considering the same monitor and weighing it against the Apple Cinema 23".

Facebook Page like?

Google+ add?
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 2277
Editing OK?: No

See the review at this link.

NEC and LaCie Lead On Professional LCD Gear | Tom's Hardware

Its from last year but I think still relevant.

dale
mrdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #4
Dromedary

Red face Re: Dell 24" monitor

athena, mrdale, maybe we could get a few more to weigh in on this. Obviously it looks like the Lacie or Nec is the better way to go; I just was hoping to not spend that much $$$. Also there are 2 monitors; 2405FPW, and the 2407WFP.
Can anyone shed some light on these units. Additional there was a post to bet the 3rd upgrade/edition viewer as it was the better.
Thanks again for your help.
golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 24

Ok lets start with the apple 23 inch.
Color and contrast are lower than the dell.
The dot pitch is much better.
Cost is $350 more.

The 2 Dell monitors listed in the first post are basically last years model and this years model. With the 2407 being the newer model. They made some changed but the core components are the same. The color on the 2407 is 500 and the contrast is 1000:1. Both are great for photography. The refresh rate of 6ms on the 2407 is much better than on the 2405 or the Apple.

After reading several reviews on all 3 monitors and over 6 years experience as a computer tech I would have to say the Dell 2407 is the best choice overall for your use. You could find a better monitor but your going to pay thought the nose for it.

So my 2 Cents worth of the posted monitors would be the Dell 2407.

I am learning more about the camera and photography every time out and i keep my mistakes to remind me I still know nothing!!!!!!!
Jwilmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007   #6
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

I have a 2407 sitting in front of me right now. It was well worth the money at $800 when I bought it and is even lower in price at $629 now according to the Dell site.

It supports multiple inputs and the ability to switch between them on the fly. Performance is excellent for me but I don't compare a lot of high end monitors.

I understand that both the LaCie and NEC are comparatively better...but considerably more expensive. If I was doing this on a professional level, I might consider it. For what I'm doing, though, it's plenty.
Old 03-06-2007   #7
Dromedary

Brian thanks so much for your reply.
I see your monitor is the 2407; can you tell me what the 2405 is? Is it just an older unit or something different?
Do you use it at the higher resolutions required for raw work? Anything special with your vidio card?
Forgive me for asking so many questions.
Best wishes.
Old 03-07-2007   #8
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilmot View Post

The 2 Dell monitors listed in the first post are basically last years model and this years model. With the 2407 being the newer model. They made some changed but the core components are the same. The color on the 2407 is 500 and the contrast is 1000:1. Both are great for photography. The refresh rate of 6ms on the 2407 is much better than on the 2405 or the Apple.
And please see the full post for the rest of the info.

Cheers,

I am learning more about the camera and photography every time out and i keep my mistakes to remind me I still know nothing!!!!!!!
Jwilmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #9
Dromedary

Somehow I completely overlooked your review. What a tremendous help. Thanks so much. I hope athena got to see it as well.
Best to you.
Old 03-07-2007   #10
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
Brian thanks so much for your reply.
I see your monitor is the 2407; can you tell me what the 2405 is? Is it just an older unit or something different?
Do you use it at the higher resolutions required for raw work? Anything special with your vidio card?
Forgive me for asking so many questions.
Best wishes.
As someone noted, the actual screen of the 2405 and 2407 are essentially the same with a few differences.

- The backlight on the 2407 was changed for more even distribution. Dell found that, over time, it seemed to get bright in the center and fall off at the edges in some models.

- The stand was changed, with a reduction in overall height range by 2-1/2".

- The card reader (located on the left side of the monitor) was improved slightly. Not having a 2405, I'm not sure what the improvements are.

That said, some people prefer the 2405 to the first versions of the 2407. The 2407 had some banding issues in versions A00 - A02. A03 seems to have fixed them from what I've read. My own is a A03 and I haven't seen any problems with it.

I have a Nvidia video card (don't remember the model since I'm at work right now) with two DVI outputs for multiple monitor support. It also has 256Mb of video RAM. I'd suggest something on the higher powered side, with DVI, to get the most out of the monitor but it's not required. The monitor accepts DVI or VGA inputs. I haven't tested the differences and went straight to DVI.

I use any LCD monitor at its native resolution. LCD gives its best picture at native resolution, regardless of the monitor. The 2407 is a 1920x1200 resolution. You'll want to make sure your video card supports it for the best possible image.

brian.austin is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: