Dell 24" monitor - Page 8
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2007   #71
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Dell 24" monitor

It seems to becoming more common for LCD's to not have the ability to alter much apart from brightness these days. I guess they expect the adjustments to be applied via a video card. Is there any significant benefit from doing it in the monitor compared to via a control panel on your PC?
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #72
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 61045

Thanks for the comments on my particular issue

My monitor does have color adjustments as well as Brightness/contrast. The color however appears to be correct, but the saturation is what seems way off IMO. It's almost like it's set to vivid mode or something. I really think it's my video card and it's software that is causing the issue. It is a really high end gaming video card and has a huge software bundle that controls it. I'm going to tear it apart tonight to see what I can do.

In the mean time I'm surfing around here on the camel and some stuff looks over saturated and other stuff looks mint. If my new monitor is correct then My laptop is way off. If the Laptop is way off and matches prints, then my printer is off.

Color management is really starting to poke it's ugly head out me I think I figure it out though. In the mean time I have a temporary solution that gets me the prints I want so it's all good

Best,
Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #73
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 194
Editing OK?: Ask First

Jay,

Stupid thought 101. Does your monitor have various saturation modes? Mine is actually adjustable. I think a lot of the gaming monitors, which seem to be about all the ones under about $800 in a 24 inch format, are made to sell in the gaming market.

My monitor has a setting for "TRANSPARENCY". There is nothing in the book about this. The monitor transparency is set at 41% on a 0 to 100% slider. Does any one know what this transparency adjustment is supposed to do. I have asked several folks who ought to know and I have yet to receive an understandable answer.

Thanks,
Tom
Tom Swaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #74
senses working overtime

The only time I've seen transparency as a monitor option is when it's to do with displaying the on screen menu.
Old 10-31-2007   #75
Camel Breath

I never heard of Transparency?? Mine does have modes though and it set to standard right now. The other mode increase the Saturation even more.

I'm looking at some raw files on my Laptop because I'm at work and I think my laptop is under saturated a bit. Looking at the raws on the LCD screen of the camera they look in between my Laptop monitor ans my LCD screen.

To be honest i really don't care so much other than I want my prints to come looking there best. Form the Lab and at home. I sent off a few test prints to WHCC so I guess I'll judge off those when I get them back.

Best,
Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Old 10-31-2007   #76
Camel Breath

Your prolly exactly right Paul

Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Old 10-31-2007   #77
Dromedary

Paul,

Having monitored your remarks, I am deferring to you for an explanation. Could you please tell me, ignorant as I must be, what transparency does and how should this best be adjusted.

I am amazed that not too many folks have seen this calibration called "transparency". Guess what, it is present in the control panel of several BenQ monitors and on the BenQ manufactured DELL 2497 WFP-HC, one of the monitors often mention on this forum.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-31-2007   #78
senses working overtime

If it is what I think it is, then it's just a way of showing the OSD (on screen display) that pops up when doing monitor adjustments. The transparency is basically how the menu is displayed - 100% will mean the menu completely covers the screen, and anything less than that means the screen peeks through.
Old 10-31-2007   #79
Dromedary

Thanks, Paul. You have me wondering now. I shall have to do some more exploring. I never tried to adjust transparency and see what happens to the display. However, I shall.

Have a great one,
Tom
Old 10-31-2007   #80
Dromedary

Paul,

For the benefit of others, the "transparency" setting on my DELL 2407 WFP-HC is under the Menu Settings. When I adjust this with a display on the screeen, It changes the apparent lumance of the lettering of the screen. It does not appear to me to affect the color, but I am not of a mind set to fool with my monitor as I have this near perfectly calibrated and this took a lot of time. I am not about to disrupt this now.

Thanks for the help.
Tom

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: