Dell 24" monitor - Page 7
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2007   #61
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 194
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Dell 24" monitor

Athena,

In the same price range you will find suitable monitors from BenQ, from DELL as made for DELL by BENQ, from Samsung and from Planar to name a few. These will all work if properly calibrated. These are not high end monitors, but these are adequate LCD monitors. A wide field format is better for editing, something like a 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio.If you have any choice, you typically want the thinnest possible screen front with the softest light, high contrast range with very good attenuation controls. If you get an LCD with a contrast ratio of 100:1, you will most likely find your self setting this at 50% to 70% in order to calibrate the screen correctly.

Good luck,
Tom
Tom Swaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #62
Photocamel Muse

CamelKarma: 61445

Thanks Tom. I just looked through the BenQ options on their webpage and I think either the FP24IW or Z are what I want. Unfortunately there won't be tons of options (can't even get Dell here) for me. I guess there has to be a downside to living where I can eat fresh tropical fruit all year long... lol

Facebook Page like?

Google+ add?
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #63
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 61045
Editing OK?: Yes

I just got the Benq and it is awesome!! However, it is over saturated!!!! My pics look about 20% over saturated compared to my Laptop monitor and it is a pain in the butt. My prints end up coming out under saturated because of this. I have a Huey Calibrator, but it does not fix the issue unfortunately, so I had to check an option in Photoshop to desaturated the workspace by 20%.

Now my prints match up again and the images look good in PS. On the web though everything looks overdone.

I can't say it is totally the monitor at fault here as it could possible be my video card or something, but it's worth mentioning IMO.

Overall I love the monitor quality wise besides this Color management issue I'm having.

Best,
Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #64
Photocamel Muse

CamelKarma: 61445

Jay - that is horrible! How can you stand looking at images online with their all being over saturated? How can you critique anyone's work like that? Are you not able to change the monitor profile settings manually to fix it? Could it be a one-off issue with your monitor only? And if so, shouldn't you return it?

Facebook Page like?

Google+ add?
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #65
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 42797
Thumbs up Re: Dell 24" monitor

The wife and I both have Dell moniters, although 22" -- a couple years now and used with our MACs -- NO problems of ANY kind. Good enough for me, and we got them on sale, first hers, then mine. Nothing else to say. Then again, maybe I just don't know enough to find a problem??
Tusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #66
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Jay - that is horrible! How can you stand looking at images online with their all being over saturated? How can you critique anyone's work like that? Are you not able to change the monitor profile settings manually to fix it? Could it be a one-off issue with your monitor only? And if so, shouldn't you return it?
From my experience of a lot of online 'fine-art' images, 99% of them are over-saturated anyway .

I have the 24" BenQ and - although I don't use it for photo stuff these days - I did have it next to my 24" Apple iMac for a while and didn't notice any significant difference in colour intensity. I found it very pleasant to work with - probably the best monitor I've used in terms of accuracy, but I don't have all those calibration tools to confirm it.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #67
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

I've heard really good things about the BenQ. On Newegg it's the highest rated 24 incher.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!=

If you can spare the dough, I'd really include the 25-27 inch monitors as well.
Old 10-31-2007   #68
Dromedary

Perhaps we are forgetting that "LCD" means "Large Color Differences". If a LCD monitor and a print are exact, this is most likely a fluke or an error!!!!! Transmitted light, i.e. the LCD Monitor, and reflected light, whatever you use to view your prints, just are not equal!!!!! When you buy an upscale monitor like the EIZO, the differences between this monitor and what we are discussing here are things which minimize saturation, differences in viewing angle, precision and accuracy of color, brightness and contrast control.

Prints generally are or appear a bit darker than do their screen images. This is a combination of fact, physics and biological accomodation.

Tom

P.S. Your eye is often more accurate than the inexpensive and even the expensive optical monitors we tend to use!!!!!
Tom Swaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #69
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm324 View Post
I just got the Benq and it is awesome!! However, it is over saturated!!!! My pics look about 20% over saturated compared to my Laptop monitor and it is a pain in the butt. My prints end up coming out under saturated because of this. I have a Huey Calibrator, but it does not fix the issue unfortunately, so I had to check an option in Photoshop to desaturated the workspace by 20%.

Now my prints match up again and the images look good in PS. On the web though everything looks overdone.

I can't say it is totally the monitor at fault here as it could possible be my video card or something, but it's worth mentioning IMO.

Overall I love the monitor quality wise besides this Color management issue I'm having.

Best,
Jay
If your monitor does not include enough color adjustments (RGB should be individually adjustable), then that's good reason for others to consider a model such as the Nec 25.5 incher.
Old 10-31-2007   #70
Dromedary

IMHO, a monitor used for photo image editing must, as a MINIMUM, be capable of contrast, brightness, red, green and blue adjustments as independently as is possible. .....and I do mean as a minimum. High quality monitors, yes, the more expensive ones, offer other calibratable parameters and better backlighting and better front screens.

Tom

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: