Dell 24" monitor - Page 4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2007   #31
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 15232
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Dell 24" monitor

I just got the 245BW and love it. Now I need to get some calibration software!

Project4145

Lee4145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #32
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906

Side question if I may,

How do you use the card reader in the Dell monitor, can you download photos from it to the PC. Same question for the USB.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2007   #33
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 194
Editing OK?: Ask First

aam1234,

I have become spoiled. I plug SD or CF cards into the side of the monitor and do my thing. I no longer use my Sandisk, Lexar or Belkin card readers.

Tom
Tom Swaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #34
Camel Breath

Great to know. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2007   #35
Dromedary

aam1234,

FYI, many of the new desktop and even laptop frames contain multiple card readers that are quite functional. The DELL Precision series, I know does this because I got four of these when I bought my new computer and could not figure out what the drives were that showed up on my computer. Ironically two of DELL's gold certified technicians did not know either, but we finally worked it out and I now have card readers all over. The card readers on the WFP 2407 HC monitor are fantastic and in a great place for easy use. By the way, the download speed is excellent.

Tom
Old 08-29-2007   #36
Camel Breath

Yeah, I suspected the 3 zillion drives were for the card reader. Good to confirm it.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2007   #37
Camel Breath

Tom, have another karma on me. Do you know why?

Your info about the card reader made me experiment with the USB in the Dell monitor. They work! Not only that but I'm currently backing up all my photos through them.

Another reason is, the card reader that came with XPS seems kinda fragile, it feels it will get broken when used. No more. Hail to the monitor's CF reader.

Cheers
Old 08-30-2007   #38
Dromedary

aam1234,

Glad to help. That is why I am here, namely to participate, contribute and learn. All I can tell you is that my monitor is wonderful and exceeds all of my expectations. I have disconnected my other card readers from my computer and I am using the ones in the monitor. Thanks for the Karma.

I am sending you a PM on another topic so please check your private messages.

Tom
Old 08-30-2007   #39
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 92

Thanks both of you, Tom and aam1234, I just got the monitor about a month ago and had forgotten about the card slots altogether.

One suggestion concerning the cards. I have heard that constant inserting and taking out the cards from cameras, readers etc can cause the contacts to wear down in some fashion and cease to function properly. Just passing this on. I have no experience with this happening myself.
Crotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #40
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotographer View Post
One suggestion concerning the cards. I have heard that constant inserting and taking out the cards from cameras, readers etc can cause the contacts to wear down in some fashion and cease to function properly. Just passing this on. I have no experience with this happening myself.
My 20D is working on 25,000 exposures now and I've been shooting with the same four CF cards since I bought it 3 years ago. No issues whatsoever. I'm sure others have much more than that and can give a better report.

brian.austin is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: