Switching from Win to Apple
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2015   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Exclamation Switching from Win to Apple

I'm seriously thinking about the switch. However, I have absolutely no idea how Apple works. Ok, I use an iPhone and an iPad, but that's about it.

I'm considering a Mac Pro, the cylindrical type (8 Core). And I have some basic/general/silly questions.

Where to begin?

- Does GHz matter much. Say 3.0 vs 3.5 for photo applications.
- Can I add an internal HDD/SSD later.
- Do the Win apps I bought for Win work in the new OS? Or do I have to buy all again (LR5, PSE, NIK software).

I'm sure there is a lot to know before making the switch, but this is a start. I'm sure I have more later.

Thanks for any info you may have

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Switching from Win to Apple

Any time you make a switch like this, there will be a learning curve. It's just the way it is.

I haven't used anything from Microsoft in at least 10 yrs, maybe more. When I switched to apple, I had no previous experience with it, and didn't know anyone who had a Mac. But I was so frustrated with windows I couldn't deal with it anymore.

You will have to unlearn what you know about windows. But once you do, the Mac OS is much more intuitive. I suppose it'll be easier for you, since you have used an iPad, so you have some experience already.

The processor does make a difference, for photos applications, but so does the graphics card. It all adds up. On a Mac Pro, I would think that you'd be able to add HD's. On the iMacs, I don't think you can add much.

The software you have, I don't know. You'll have to check to make sure. It might say on the DVDs if they are windows and Mac compatible. If not, you will have to change them. Years ago, you had to cross grade from windows to Mac, it that might be different now.

If you have an Apple Store near you, I'd make a trip and check things out. They'd be happy to let you play with the various computers, and they will also answer the questions you have.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015   #3
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2scene View Post
Any time you make a switch like this, there will be a learning curve. It's just the way it is.
True.

Quote:
But I was so frustrated with windows I couldn't deal with it anymore.
Exactly right! Life is too short to waste it on driver compatibility, or hardware sync. and such garbage (pardon my language).

I want a computer that when I want it to work it works. Then I turn it off when I'm done. Thank you very much.
Old 05-28-2015   #4
Llama

Exactly!!!!!

Windows was made by people who write code FOR people who write code. Well guess what? I don't write code, I don't know how to write code, and I don't want to learn either.

I drive a car, but I don't want to have to know what's under the hood, how it works and then assemble the motor before I start it in the morning. The computer should only be there to get your job done quickly, easily and without frustration, so I can then get off the darn thing and get to life. I don't want running the computer to be my life.

For me the Mac is closer to doing that. It's not perfect. It's still complex, but it's very much easier to use than windows. People will say it's more limiting. Well I suppose it is. But only if you're into building your own computer, or tinkering with it all the time, and constantly upgrading stuff in it.

Well guess what again? I don't do that. I buy a computer, use it as is for a few years, then get a new one. After a few years it's pretty much shot. I'm not going to replace the hard drive and the processor and then the graphics cards, and on and on etc. At the end you spent more for the upgrades, than what a whole new computer costs, plus at the end you still have old parts in it. Never mind the frustration along the way. On top of that, I don't know how to do all that, and I don't want to waste time learning how to do it. I don't have the time or interest. Just get a new computer when you need it and be done with it. Adding more memory is about the limit I'm interested in doing with the computer. So for me the Mac is the way to go. No question. If you're the type that likes to play with the computer as a hobby, then good for you, enjoy your windows computer. We all need a hobby. I'd rather be out doing photography stuff.

Old 05-28-2015   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

I write code, and I know my car has a 2.5L engine. I'd happily own a Mac, but I'd lose a lot of software for Windows only, and I'm not interested in running dual boot or emulators or the like. When I retire and don't care about most of the software, I'll go Mac. Until then, too much trouble, too much money, too much learning. Come on Win 10

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015   #6
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
too much money
Excellent point Mr.P.

For years a friend has been trying to convince me to go Apple, and my reply was always: But you are paying 3 times the amount. Told him for that sum one can buy 3 high-end PCs.

However, and personally, I reached a point where I just want the computer to work. Most of us are photographers not IT people. To give you an example: to make this PC work (and write this) it took me 45 minutes! Yesterday it took me an hour & half. Yes, this PC needs fixing, but I want peace of mind and get something that just work.
Old 05-29-2015   #7
Camel Breath

Quote:
I drive a car, but I don't want to have to know what's under the hood, how it works and then assemble the motor before I start it in the morning. The computer should only be there to get your job done quickly, easily and without frustration, so I can then get off the darn thing and get to life.
Rob, re-reading what you said made me think that you should, somehow, sell the quote above Because it's true. To an Apple-sponsored blog or forum perhaps

One of my beefs with Apple, that kept me away from it, is their controlled environment. Basically, one is at the mercy of that company in terms of what you can & can't do. To quote Rob "guess what?" I'm willing to give up some "freedom" and an extra buck or two in exchange for reliability and productivity. But that's just me.
Old 05-29-2015   #8
Llama

Well everyone is different. What's ok to someone might be totally unacceptable to another.

On the one hand, yes you are limited to what you can change or add to or 'fiddle' with on a Mac. But that's only important to you, if you do that. I don't. So for me it's really a 'who cares' kind of thing.

You also pay more. While you do pay more, you only pay once, and it only hurts once. But the computer you use everyday. For me, to use a computer that frustrates me EVERY TIME I use, hurts me more, and costs me more in nerves, not to mention time. I don't want to have to figure out what 15 dialog boxes are asking me, then figure out how I need to answer them, every time I want to download or print something. When windows has me curled up crying in the fetal position from frustration because it won't let me do something, at that point whatever price premium, I paid for the Mac, is suddenly a bargain at twice the price.

Now I'm sure a lot of my frustrations are my own fault. I'll be the first to admit, I don't really have a great understanding of the windows OS. But again, guess what? I don't want to learn. I don't want to take time and learn it. I'm not interested in that. I want the computer to do what I need, and then for it to go away. I don't sit down and read a mechanics manual on how to fix every thing on a car, before I go grocery shopping. I'm not going to read a manual of 1000 pages to run windows either. I'm just not.

Old 05-29-2015   #9
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

I think the frustration and fetal position sounds of that are just a tick over exaggerated. Take a Windows person and give them a Mac, and a good story teller could write the same thing. One might be a BIT easier to figure out and use, but it might also not have native software you are used to. Matter of fact, they both are that way.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015   #10
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Editing OK?: Yes

Not trying to be a smart ass here - this is just an honest question.
If you haven't learned Windows as well as you'd like, what makes you think OSX will be easier to learn? I've seen several folks who switched from Windows to Mac, and months after the switch they are still struggling to figure out how to do what they knew how to do in Windows.

I considered a MPB this past fall when I was buying a new laptop. There were a number of factors that kept me with a black box rather than moving to white - express card slot, dual hard disks, docking station, and some legacy software ... but the biggest factor was the learning curve for a new work environment. I didn't want to deal with a productivity setback.

Drivers and such were issues back in the Windows 95 days, but XP & Windows 7 haven't caused me any heartache. I'm not a fan of 8 or 8.1 for how I use my computer, but I didn't have any stability or performance issues when I was running it.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: