PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Computers and Software (https://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/)
-   -   Batch resizing? (https://photocamel.com/forum/computers-software/213-batch-resizing.html)

Chris 07-21-2005 04:57 PM

Batch resizing?

Forgive me for being a total photo newbie, but I am. ;D What's a good software for batch resizing photos? Can you do it with the Canon software- the Digital Photo Pro or EOS Viewer Util? Or is there a way to in Photoshop? Thanks, and I promise I'll ask harder questions later.

Alice Morrison 07-21-2005 05:00 PM

Re: Batch resizing?

That's a good question. I'll watch this thread. I don't know of anything, and I'd like to.

Welcome to the forum.

Oikku 07-22-2005 12:15 AM

I don´t know about Canon programs, in Nikon View there is a batch for that, but you can always create an action in PS for that purpose.

Greets, Oikku
www.oikkus.com

Tim Gray 07-22-2005 07:41 AM

If you want to batch resize for printing - take a look at http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/ qimage. This is a superb printing utility - just dump all the files you wanted pringint, and it takes care of the resizing, final sharpening, multi shots per page etc. etc. etc.

bevilaquafoto 07-23-2005 09:22 PM

I have a client who requires all of my images be sized to 5x7 at 350dpi....don't ask why. I shoot three to four hundred images for them in a full day. I use Photoshop CS2, but any photoshop will do this. You have to create an "action" where you open a picture, ask photoshop to create a new action, and then re-size the image as you would like it. You then tell Photoshop to batch process all of the photographs in a particular folder. Yes, it gets a little complicated, and I would be happy to help anyone who would like a walk-through. Photoshop actions can help you perform many many different kinds of processes on multiple photographs. For example if you wanted to create a contact sheet in photoshop there is an action for that. Or to resize, or sharpen a whole batch of images. I unfortunately do all this routinely in Photoshop. It gets easier as you get more experienced with it. I am not aware of any stand-alone program that will batch images in the way that photoshop does.

artrosch 07-24-2005 01:01 PM

I just did one yesterday for a client. I recorded an action in Photoshop. As Lorenzo says, it gets a little complicated. You would think that checking the
box 'suppress color profile warnings' would do just that. but it didn't. So I left it unchecked on the second try, and the action flew through a hundred
plus images. Go figure. After four years of using Batch processes, I still don't know what's going on, sometimes. Maybe I should read the manual.
Breezebrowser has a wonderful email resizing, very fast. But it opens the email application and sends the resized images there, and I can't figure a way
to recapture them and put them in a folder. other than emailing the whole thing to myself, which isn't very practical.

Art
www.artsdigitalphoto.com

bevilaquafoto 07-24-2005 04:19 PM

I forgot to mention...you can e-mail directly out of Photo-Mechanic as well. Under "File" (mac only) you can select send photos via e-mail, and it will give you a choice of a few different sizes, and will resize as many photos as you select from the folder you are viewing. It automatically resizes the images for you, and e-mails them using your default e-mail client. The way to capture them for yourself is to go to your "sent" e-mail folder, look at the message, and simply save the attached images to your desktop. Be aware, however that your ISP may limit the number of megabytes you can e-mail at one time. i am limited to ten for some silly reason.

BobTrips 08-06-2005 10:43 PM

Irfanview. www.irfanview.com Free.

(If you end up using it a lot send Irfan a few dollars. Great photo management program.)

To Resize your images...

Under 'File'
'Batch Conversion/Rename'
'Advanced Options'
'Preserve aspect ratio'
(If you desire, and you probably do.)
'Use resample'
(Better quality output.)
Set pixel size for the longest dimension.
'OK'

Add photos

(You will need to resize horizontal images separately from vertical images.)

'Copy input files to output directory'

I often create a sub-folder named something such as ‘xxx/1200’ inside the original ‘xxx’ folder.

'Start'

Then <Sharpen> your images, at least check the sharpening. It's generally needed after resizing.

Sami 08-07-2005 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobTrips
Irfanview. www.irfanview.com Free.

I use Irfan a lot. Easy to use, fast, good quality resampler.

boristhemoggy 08-18-2005 05:50 PM

Irfan view. Spend your money on toys for your camera, not on unnecessary software.
Any time you want anything go to SourceForge.net or one of the Freeware.com sites first.