What are your plans for Vista? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

View Poll Results: What are your plans for Windows Vista?
Already upgraded 61 27.23%
I'll wait and see 50 22.32%
Don't plan to upgrade this year 65 29.02%
Will most likely never upgrade 61 27.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2007   #11
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: What are your plans for Vista?

Wait and see for me...

...Nikon pulled support for the D1-series on Vista though, and we have a collection of them in our equipment pool. If I move up in the organization I'm going to be running experiments with Camera Control Pro, and I'll need D1 support.
Old 03-04-2007   #12
MrB
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 59253
Editing OK?: Yes

My hardware is 4 years old and running fine with XP Pro. When I need to change hardware, I'll go with Vista. I just bought my wife a laptop with Vista. It is very nice, but not compatible with all my software. So that's another bridge I'll need to cross. I don't have concerns about major probs with Vista.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #13
dc2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 290
Editing OK?: Ask First

I got Xp Pro too and I see no real advantage to change to vista just yet .
Particularly with the price of it over here at the moment.
Canon 1Ds2
I lost faith in religion as a child when I saw a lightning conductor being fitted to the local church.
RSPB Member.
dc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #14
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 24

Personally and professionally I will not use Vista for the first 6-9 months. As one of those IT guys I actually have more than just horror stories to back up this. The main example is hardware compatibility. Another IT friend of mine just build a new comp with an AMD 6600 processor and the 8800GTS. The motherboard was top end(can't remember the model) and he intended to use the 6.1 surround on board instead of buying a new sound card. Unfortunately Vista does not support the on board sound and he had to buy a new card.

Is Vista evil?? NO. Would I recommend someone buy a new computer with Vista? Sure, if they got an unit off the shelf and where not planning on upgrading the hardware anytime soon. But I would also refer them to the web sites of the software they want to put on it to make sure they are compatible. Its all about knowledge, if you know what your getting into and check to make sure it will support what you want to do with it then it is fine.

Personally I function fine with my Intel 550 processor running XP Pro. But I will wait at least 6-9 months to build a new system and let Microsoft work out the major bugs with the software and hardware.

I am learning more about the camera and photography every time out and i keep my mistakes to remind me I still know nothing!!!!!!!
Jwilmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #15
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilmot View Post
Personally I function fine with my Intel 550 processor running XP Pro. But I will wait at least 6-9 months to build a new system and let Microsoft work out the major bugs with the software and hardware.
Agree, and by that time today's top-of-the-line dual-core processor that you really want will be half price.
Old 03-07-2007   #16
Guanaco

JDArt,

Exactly=). The computer that I currently use (for 1 1/2 years now) was built on this same premise and I saved over $800 when I built it.

I am learning more about the camera and photography every time out and i keep my mistakes to remind me I still know nothing!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2007   #17
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I got an upgrade in the cd next to my computer. I am not gonna install it...until there is a hack to fix the DRM. cause if I can't download my music then there isn't a point.
Exactly what are you talking about? I have been running RC-1 for 6 months and I don't have any DRM issues? I use Limewire and newgroups and I download anything I wish.

And Vista is incredible. You don't need ant-virus software with Vista. Everything runs in a sandbox and the bad guys can't get to you now.
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #18
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
Exactly what are you talking about? I have been running RC-1 for 6 months and I don't have any DRM issues? I use Limewire and newgroups and I download anything I wish.

And Vista is incredible. You don't need ant-virus software with Vista. Everything runs in a sandbox and the bad guys can't get to you now.
It may take a little time but be assured that at some point in the near future someone will drop a stinky load in your sandbox if you do not protect it with antivirus. The bad guys will always find a way.

Old 03-07-2007   #19
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilmot View Post
It may take a little time but be assured that at some point in the near future someone will drop a stinky load in your sandbox if you do not protect it with antivirus. The bad guys will always find a way.
I have been using computers since the 70s, I have been online since the mid-eighties and using Windows since 2.1. NO ONE will drop a stinky load on my sandbox. Mainly because I turned off the User Control Account (read sandbox). I have never had my computer hacked and never gotten a virus of any kind. And I have never used anti-virus software. The bad guys only find a way when the person who operates the computer is stupid. If you know what you are doing you don't need anti-virus. Anti-virus costs money, takes up a large footprint and slows down your computer. Worst thing of all is that anti-virus software is not 100% reliable. You can still get a virus even with anti-virus software installed. My system is 100% reliable.
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #20
Guanaco

I definitely agree that someone with years of experience and restrictive use would not be as likely to get a virus.

My point about the stinky load is that no matter how secure the OS the average user will get a virus. Those people out there that have way above average skill with computers/internet have no need for my advise. But I would hesitate to recommend a layman to use there computer the same way I do. Most do not have the experience or the inclination to do the things I do with my computer. Your post did not indicate that you have any level of experience with computers so I responded with that in mind.

I apologize if you took offense to my post. I would just hate to see someone put Vista on there machine and think cool i'm completely and totally protected from any kind of virus out there cus this other guy is.

Tamron AF 80-300mm f4-5.6/ 58mm uv filter
Nikon AF 70-210mm f4-5.6

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: