What are your plans for Vista? - Page 18
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

View Poll Results: What are your plans for Windows Vista?
Already upgraded 61 27.23%
I'll wait and see 50 22.32%
Don't plan to upgrade this year 65 29.02%
Will most likely never upgrade 61 27.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008   #171
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 4690
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: What are your plans for Vista?

Another "IT Guy" here. I ran it at home for quite a while, several different flavors. I also have run it at the office as well. No huge complaints, but also have not seen the benefit to the business side yet, and nother major as a benefit on the home front. I have since rolled back to XP as I am much more familiar with it and have had less compatablilty issues. If you must get Vista on a new PC, no worries, it should be fine aside from the slight learning curve. We run it on 3 PC's at my church, which I support, and I don't have any issues there.
boydaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #172
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 44

Yet another IT guy. I actually worked in the Canadian call center for Vista during the first week of Vista release and left virtually right after the "training".
Nothing but bloat, crappy or non existent drivers and headaches. I've seen nothing to change my mind about that in the 1.5 years since its original release.
SP1 promised to fix a number of things and it didn't - It was a huge disappointment, caused numerous issues and solved virtually nothing. Any positive changes were minor and fell well short of expectations.
Now we hear that MS won't be including the micro kernel in Windows 7, which essentially means the future is bleak and without hope.

Yes, I'm a pessimist, but I really have to question whether Microsoft has completely lost their way with their 12 levels of management or has actually switched to the business model of encouraging hardware upgrades with more and more bloated OS's (more PCs sold, more copies of windows, office, etc, paid for)

At my last company we strongly recommended against vista in corporate environments. It's not that we couldn't get it to work, but because we billed out at 90-$150 / hour and had some degree of ethics, we educated clients on the cost / benefit situation behind the OS with the stunning window fades, magical transparency effects and happy little fairies that eat cpu time and ram.

BTW... XP runs amazingly fast on former vista machines... if you can get drivers for it.
loraksus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #173
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraksus View Post
BTW... XP runs amazingly fast on former vista machines... if you can get drivers for it.
There is a good chance of getting a new laptop and upgrading it to XP. Will I have issues if I do that.
Old 06-09-2008   #174
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam1234 View Post
There is a good chance of getting a new laptop and upgrading it to XP. Will I have issues if I do that.
For what it's worth... Sony is terrible. Toshiba also has problems. Compaq, HP, Acer? Meh.

Dell's Vostro series laptops work pretty well as they sell virtually the same models with XP (and are going to be doing the "yeah Microsoft, we're selling laptops with Vista*" thing.

*well, not really, we're using the vista business sticker, but loading the machines with XP and sending 2 sets of recovery media, one w/ xp, one w/ vista.

Not to shill, but I got a really good deal on my 17" vostro, was happy with it and then bought a 15" for my dad who abuses the heck out of machines. The 17" vostro is big, but XP and 2003 server installed easily on it once you change the SATA mode in the bios (simple) and I have everything running fine.

Lenovo Thinkpads also come in XP configs from the factory.
If you get a vista edition of a thinkpad, you'll have to order the recovery CDs and do a full reload to get the XP recovery / system tools partition (or just ditch the recovery partition and use something like acronis - much better / faster)

BTW... is anyone still pushing "Turbo Memory"? It won't work with XP, but I don't think you'll care

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: