Can someone help me with Lightroom?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2015   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Can someone help me with Lightroom?

I have been using Lightroom (currently v 3) for years and regularly backed up my catalogs on a portable external drive. Unfortunately, my internal hard drive crashed. I replaced the hard drive and re-installed Lightroom. I tried to restore the saved catalogs and that is where I ran into trouble.

When I click on "all photographs" I get blank thumbnails. All have the dreaded question mark in the upper right corner indicating Lightroom does not know where the photo is located. In the lower right corner I see the tag that indicates the photo is keyworded. I can even filter by keyword but still no images appear.

How can I fix this?

Old 01-29-2015   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 3178128
Default Re: Can someone help me with Lightroom?

You do know that the catalog backup doesn't backup the photos themselves, right?

Where are the actual photos now, after the crash?

For those with such interests, here's a page that lists the gear I use: Buck's Gear

Life is like photography... FOCUS on what's important, CAPTURE the good times, DEVELOP from the negatives, and if things don't work out, TAKE ANOTHER SHOT!!!
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120

Buckster is correct. The photos themselves are not the same as the catalog. The catalog I think is basically the changes you made to the images when you edited them. But the changes are separate from the images. Kind of like the XMP file in Photoshop. The two files are separate, and saved separately.

Where the images are saved, is decided by you. If you saved the the images on the internal HD, you might be out of luck. You might only be left with the catalog on the the external HD. Which is only the changes you made to the images, but the images themselves will not be there.

If you backed up your internal HD, you'll be ok. I hope you have the images backed up someplace.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015   #4
Alpaca

All photos are on one of two hard drives.
mick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015   #5
Alpaca

To clarify, all photos AND the backup catalogs are on external hard drives.
mick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 3178128

In Lightroom, go to the Library module. On the left panel, under Folders, right click on the topmost folder of your photos, and choose from the popup menu, "Update Folder Location". Find the place on the hard drive where the photos ACTUALLY are now, and point it to that.

For those with such interests, here's a page that lists the gear I use: Buck's Gear

Life is like photography... FOCUS on what's important, CAPTURE the good times, DEVELOP from the negatives, and if things don't work out, TAKE ANOTHER SHOT!!!
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

If you restored the Saved Catalogs, and you actually restored them to the same place and LR found them, then you are close.

You need to get the images, and put them back to the proper location you want them. So if they are on the drive and location where you want them to live, then right click the folder in LR with question mark (in Library mode), and pick "Find Missing Folders"...

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #8
Alpaca

I apologize that I did not have the opportunity to work on this until just now. Your suggestions worked! Thank you very much for your help.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic:

Tags
crash, lightroom help, restore