External HDD Suggestions? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2015   #11
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 606787
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: External HDD Suggestions?

I have both Seagates and Western Digitals. They both work fine but I have had failures with both brands. However all hard drives will fail eventually so it is only a matter of time.

One thing I recommend is as soon as you hook up a new external drive is to format it and get rid of the proprietary software that both Seagate and Western Digital put on them.
It will make recovering your files easier should the hard drive fail. I have always been able to recover my files from failed hard drives, though I'm sure there will come a time when I can't.

Sometimes with software and the other times by replacing the control card on the failed drive. If you have files on your failed drive you didn't have backed up send me a pm and maybe I can help you get them back.

Keith

http://www.keithfosterphotography.com/
keithdewey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015   #12
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: External HDD Suggestions?

While the cases / outside appearance are very nice, LaCie drive internals are made by WD or Seagate.
LaCie do not make the actual hard drives.

- Chase Jarvis
wolfd is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: