Vista uproar?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2007   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Vista uproar?

Anyone heard anything about this? Got this note from a colleague:

It is said Vista contains protection mechanisms that block any posibility to copy or upload videos or music from Internet. Even worse, it is said that an integrated DRM mechanism (intellectual property protection) don't even allow to download to a MP3 player a song which has been legally bought. There is a big underground campaign against Vista and to prefer Linux as a protest against this.

JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Vista uproar?

DRM = BAD

been talk about it, and its use on iPods and the Windows Zune. I think Paul posted some threads on it here somewhere, but we discussed its "greatness" on here in the past....

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Educate yourself first, Mr. P.

Vista and More: Piecing Together Microsoft's DRM Puzzle

DRM is the way of the world in digital media, unfortunately. Too many people copy too many things in an effort to get something for nothing. Unfortunately, it's forced the media people to go nuts to protect their investments and huge profits. This will make the "piracy protection" methods of the early DOS days look like a simple A1B2C3... encryption method (which it actually was in some cases).

Funny how no one seems to mind Apple's DRM on their iTunes system?
Old 02-23-2007   #4
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

I don't need to educate myself on that. I don't care. If I buy a copy of Photoshop and put it on my Dell PC, and then later get a new HP PC, I'd think that software would work. Not so with music files? Dang.

If I burn a song from a CD and put it on a Zune and then want it on a iPod, is it gonna work? Will I have to re-burn? Did they do something to my converted song? I would like all the players to use and play the same stupid file format. Won't happen though.

JPG seems to be the last of the good, everybody reads and writes them, file formats. I'm sure someone will screw that up too.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

I have yet to buy music from the Internet. Sounds too restrictive.
Old 02-23-2007   #6
jya
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 2214

By the time I go near Vista, all those restrictions will have come clear. Right now, it's useless unless you start from scratch. Your printer probably won't work because Vista can't use the old drivers. The printer companies aren't rushing to provide drivers for their old stuff; they want you to buy new. Ditto external drives that aren't inherently USB enabled. Ditto .... I won't be a volunteer guinea pig.

Jerry
Old 02-23-2007   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt View Post
Anyone heard anything about this? Got this note from a colleague:

It is said Vista contains protection mechanisms that block any posibility to copy or upload videos or music from Internet. Even worse, it is said that an integrated DRM mechanism (intellectual property protection) don't even allow to download to a MP3 player a song which has been legally bought. There is a big underground campaign against Vista and to prefer Linux as a protest against this.
In a word, horsefeathers. I have had Vista on my machine for months (RC-1) and it doesn't have any integrated DRM mechanism. I have no problem using LImewire and Newsrover with Vista.

Linux never was and never will be a contender on the desktop. There is no big underground campaign. Linux is a joke.
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007   #8
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
I don't need to educate myself on that. I don't care. If I buy a copy of Photoshop and put it on my Dell PC, and then later get a new HP PC, I'd think that software would work. Not so with music files? Dang.
Bad analogy. All Adobe software now has an activation system, similar to Microsoft's. But you're unlikely to move Photoshop as often or give it to your friends....or simply publish it on the Internet. And if someone else does get it and too many copies get activated, all Adobe has to do is deny the activation. Distribution done.

Quote:
If I burn a song from a CD and put it on a Zune and then want it on a iPod, is it gonna work? Will I have to re-burn? Did they do something to my converted song? I would like all the players to use and play the same stupid file format. Won't happen though.
Don't know what to tell you. I've got MP3's integrated into BOTH my iTunes and Windows Media Player...and burn them to CD. iTunes converts them to AAC to update my iPod but iPods weren't designed to transfer music anyway.

Everything "bad" about DRM has yet to happen to me, I guess. I watch movies on my computer, listen to music, burn it to CD, transfer it to another computer, etc. with no issues. All of my software is up-to-date with the latest versions.
Old 02-23-2007   #9
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 13808

As a Mac user, I liked that Microsoft finally managed to add a layer of security to its Vista users, to shield off viruses and uninvited visitors.

As for the way DMR was implemented, I personally haven't seen it myself but I did hear Vista users complain that they can no longer buy MP3 online, unless it's from Microsoft.

As for Linux being a joke, I beg to differ.. It might not be as friendly as other GUI operating systems for the desktop, but it's much stronger in terms of protecting the user's work..
Old 02-23-2007   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 47

I've worked professionally as a computer technician for the last 12 years, so this is something i deal with regularly. if you educate yourself on this drm stuff you'll see that alot of people are blowing it WAY out of proportion. Is it a cause for concern? yup, it's way too intrusive for my tastes at this point allready, but it's only going to continue to get worse. Consumers will need to stand up and say this stuff is unacceptable.

That said, linux as an alternative? Ummm no, linux is not a viable alternative to windows, not even remotely. The only real alternative to windows is to buy a mac, and i'd REALLY rather not do that, i like actually being able to run software and games when they come out, not 3 years later. Besides macs are WAY too propietary and i don't like how apple does business even moreso than microsoft.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: