Who has a mac?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

View Poll Results: Do you have a mac?
Yes 128 62.44%
No 31 15.12%
Don't want one. 17 8.29%
Maybe later. 29 14.15%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2007   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 27
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Who has a mac?

I am about to get a macbook for my 21st birthday. I have to pay half lol just wondering how many others have a mac?

edit. 7-10-07

I finally got a mac. Macbook 2ghz core 2 duo. 2 gigs ram. I love it.!

Old 02-21-2007   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Who has a mac?

Too expensive for me!
Old 02-21-2007   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

I've used and supported Macs at work. I'd love to get a high end workstation, but the I basically have the equivalent in a Wintel box, but at 2/3 the price. As far as the "Mac experience" and Macs reportedly "working better" claims by Macophiles, I don't get it. A computer is a tool, and my criteria is that they do what I want for them. Macs and PCs are both different and desirable for different reasons. I would prefer a Mac as a digital imaging workstation. No way would I want to use one for application development. So, my answer is, maybe, someday.
Old 02-23-2007   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 27
Editing OK?: Ask First

I didn't want this to be a pc vs mac I'm just trying to see the numbers of members on this forum that own or use a mac. We can go all day on pc vs. mac
Old 02-23-2007   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

I guess that was my point - in a long winded, roundabout way.
Old 02-23-2007   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 151938

Drake, I use a Mac G5 for all my computing. I have never owned a pc, nothing against them, just never owned one.

http://pbase.com/harrydavid
Amateur having fun! Feel free to edit any of my images.
harryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 13808

Happy Birthday, Drake..

I've recently purchased a 17" MacBook Pro, after having a PowerBook G4/667 since Nov/2001.. For the family, we're using an eMac in the living room.. I also use a 20" iMac G5 at the studio.

I need Windows to access my bank's website and do transactions. So on the MacBook Pro, I bought Parallels, which allows me to run Windows natively on the Intel Duo Core 2 processor.. It's pretty fast..
Old 02-24-2007   #8
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002

I mainly use a 24" imac at home, and a 20" at work. Funnily enough though, I'm typing this on the 24" running Vista and it's a very nice experience. Clean, fast and so far everything works well. Parallels is good as Waleed says - gives you an excellent way of running Windows on the Mac.

Also - check out the new VMWare Fusion Beta Program. It has the ability of using native graphics hardware so can emulate some games at decent speed. Quite impressive.

Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 13808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Shields View Post
Also - check out the new VMWare Fusion Beta Program. It has the ability of using native graphics hardware so can emulate some games at decent speed. Quite impressive.
Hey Paul, I just downloaded VMware to try it out, and I was given a serial number that will keep it alive until May. However, after a bit of testing, I found it to be a bit slower than Parallels (yes, I installed the VMware Tools). Not to mention, the display acceleration option was not available in the settings.. Could it be because I'm using an integrated display?! Who knows
Old 02-25-2007   #10
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002

Waleed - I think you've nailed the reasons. The VMware Fusion uses the graphics card to a greater extent than Parallels, and an integrated card may have a big impact. I've not seen any comparison benchmarks between the two but I've found the VMware beta to be pretty quick, though Parallels is certainly no slouch. A bigger benefit for me is that Fusion is supposed to support USB2. Last time I used Parallels it was USB1 and was very slow reading CF cards for example.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: