Backup Solutions
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2014   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 119507
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Backup Solutions

What are your backup solutions? Looking to use this thread more as a collective survey than as recommendations for me to purchase (I'm not looking at this time). I'll start:

In addition to my main workstation working storage, I have a 4-bay external RAID tower as my main backup, connected via USB. I only have a single HDD in there now, but I'm going to run RAID 5 as soon as I get more. I also have one internal backup drive in my workstation, and one external WD MyBook connected via USB. I use Cobian Backup as my software.

Old 12-02-2014   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 12180
Default Re: Backup Solutions

I duplicate the MacBook pro internal harddrive with super duper to an external Seagate USB hdd. The seagate is surprisingly quiet and cool.
DavidWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes

Main photos/data on a Windows 2008 server (at home), which is backed up to a Windows Home Server 2011 box (twice). Aside from that, I have an external drive (4 TB) that manages to fit all of my important data. So that's backup in triplicate, which my experience shows is just enough.
JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No

external drive (2x)+justcloud backup+spideroak backup for sensitive info.
Old 12-09-2014   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 106200

In the past I've used SCSI and FibreChannel tape robots, NAS storage and SAN storage for personal use (yes I'm an IT geek but stopped using enterprise devices when I got the electricity bill: my power consumption was approx. twice that of a normal family residence ;-(
Till then I never thought of using USB disks since these weren't "Enterprise enough" I thought, but since the arrival of cheapish 3 and 4TB disks (and the electricity bill) I've decided to give USB disks a spin.

So now I actually use 3 sets of 2 4TB disks that sync data from my 7 disk NAS in the garage. My MacBookPro uses TimeMachine to a share hosted on an old MacMini and my wife's Windows 8 laptop uses the NAS for her backup and stores her main data on her laptop's internal SSD.

Cheers,
Ronald

Disclaimer I've been into IT for almost two decades and I'm currently responsible for quite a large network (IT manager) and personally in charge of all storage and backup systems (650TB of data and +200 servers).

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: