What brand of HD to buy? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2007   #11
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: What brand of HD to buy?

Probably the best thing you can do to keep your HD from going back is keep it cool. Otherwise, pray.
Old 02-20-2007   #12
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 24

Western digital would be the maker I would recommend after almost 8 years of PC repair and custom building.
Seagate is ok as long as you stay away from the Barracudas.

As far as speed goes having a 10k raptor in an external enclosure would not benefit you as much as the cost difference due to the slow connection speed of the USB. If it where an internal; drive I would agree. I use a Raptor for my primary drive for that reason.

I have looked at JDarts enclosure and I am planning on getting one soon.

Bottom line is I recommend getting a good quality enclosure and then buying WD hard drives to fill it based on what you can afford. Seek time and buffer size are two key factors as well. Large Buffer size and low seek time is the way to go.

I am learning more about the camera and photography every time out and i keep my mistakes to remind me I still know nothing!!!!!!!
Jwilmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #13
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilmot View Post
Bottom line is I recommend getting a good quality enclosure and then buying WD hard drives to fill it based on what you can afford.
WD, Seagate, and Samsung are making 400 and 600 gig drives for at or just over $100. Samsung is a brand rarely mentioned but very, very nice: ultra quiet and cool running.
Old 02-20-2007   #14
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt View Post
I used to say stuff like that--because it was true.

Now I know it was just luck.
Amen to that. I just had three drives in a pre-fail status (going down but still operational) in my 4Tb NAS system at the office. All Maxtor SATAs. Personally, I'm beginning to suspect a power supply issue but HP says it's not an issue. We'll see.

But, I do this for a living in a lot of different places. Statistically, I'm more likely to see a bad disk than most PC techs or home users. At minimum, all of my servers are using mirrored drives for OS and I have a few large arrays with over 12 drives in them...and they NEVER shut down.
Old 02-20-2007   #15
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilmot View Post
Seagate is ok as long as you stay away from the Barracudas.
Oddly enough, the Barracudas have always been the most reliable for me AFTER first generation models. Those were hot plates (you couldn't touch them in some cases). Any of the high speed drives require dedicated cooling, though. I have an older server that has second and third gen Barracudas that has been operational for four years straight with downtime measured in hours, not days.
Old 02-20-2007   #16
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

In my days maintaining over 150 lab PC's, all failures were WD. The brands were pretty evenly distributed between WD, Maxtor, and Seagate, and on other I can't remember. These were "typical" store bought boxes used to replicate average home usage - left on 24x7, poor ventilation, PCI cards, memory, and peripherals constantly changed/upgraded, etc. - so they didn't get the best treatment. In three years, I believe the HDD death toll was about 10. Very occasionally, we had an actual business desktop lose a drive, but it few and far between. Business laptops are another story, and on the opposite end, are servers. I did have the opportunity to change out a hot swappable SCSI drive from a RAID5 box. That was pretty cool. Anyway, we always liked it that the failed drives were WD, since their warranty claim process was simple at the time.

jfrancho is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: