Anyone using a hi-res display?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2014   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Anyone using a hi-res display?

I'm talking about the new "WQHD" displays (or better) with 2560 x 1440 resolution. Couple of things I've noticed (I have one now):

1. Text and icons gets really small unless you're using a monitor that's 30 or 32 inches. Even then, you might have to pump up scaling to 125%.
  2. On a 27-inch display, I think you need to scale the thing from 125% to 150%, depending upon your age and eyesight.
  3. Adobe apps do not scale well! By that, I mean that user interface (UI) elements--menu fonts and toolbar icons--remain very small no matter how much you scale the interface up. This makes Adobe look pretty stupid, actually. Big software company like that, and they're not ready for high-res? Jeez.
Hi-res is the future, yes, but remember when buying a new monitor, pay as much attention to the dot pitch of your future LCD as to its resolution. Dot pitch is some kind fancy way of saying how large the on-screen UI elements will be in standard usage. It's a result of the optimum resolution of the display and the size of the screen.

I also find the new standard aspect ratio of 16:9 to be somewhat disappointing on computer monitors. 16:9 is for movies. The old 16:10 made more sense. But that's slightly another topic.

Old 10-13-2014   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Anyone using a hi-res display?

They seemed way to wide and gimmicky to me. Be good for somethings, but the first thought i had was that of the size of the text. While it is wide and all of that, the actual HEIGHT of the monitor is important for some content. I don't want to do all my computer work as a panoramic....

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
While it is wide and all of that, the actual HEIGHT of the monitor is important for some content.
Agree. Actually it's important for *most* content, I'd say, which makes the current 16:9 aspect ratio even less sensible.
JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 15405
Editing OK?: Ask first

Bit depth is, at least, as important as resolution. You need a monitor bit depth of 14bits to see every colour accurately in Adobe Colour Space for example.

Chris
ChrisJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 2530

Good question. I must have a professional display for my digital imaging and Giclee printing.

I have both NEC MultiSync Pa 272w and 271W, for my two workstations.

Could do fine art without them.

Cheers,

David
4david8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 259
Editing OK?: Ask first

Patience, please
Affordable, New Higher Res (4k) Monitors are coming soon.
In the mean time, I will make do with my 30" 4:3 Dell
RRRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 213252

I use a Toshiba intel core i7 Laptop for all my photo needs with a screen resolution of 3840 x 2160 (4K), which is way more advanced than the 2560 x 1440 resolution mentioned by Mr. JD Art.
I find no problems with the screen font as I type the reply to this thread or read my email.
Fonts are pretty normal even on Word 2013. If I need larger fonts on the go I just use the Control & the plus minus keys on the Laptop.
Yep some Adobe lettering is pretty small but their PDF format as well as Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 5.6 message windows are OK.
The Toshiba has a 20 GB RAM + there is another 10 GB on the independant Display Card. Has a 1 TB hard disc.
And there are some three screen color tuning software including contrast, which helps me tune the Pentax K-5 LCD screen with the Laptop.
Photos are a pleasure to watch on a hi-res screen.
Regards
nanhi
camp: Thornhill, Ontario.
nanhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014   #8
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 450862
Editing OK?: No

I use 2560x1080 and I don't have to scale my fonts up. But I'm also standing pretty close to my screen

I don't mind the extra width - and by that I mean that it is very useful - but I also would not mind having even more height.
All the best, Silv. Contributor to our fine-art photography blog, mixed with some documentation shots. @Kamerahelden on Twitter. Always happy about insightful critique of my photos here on the camel and elsewhere.

Berliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014   #9
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525

I'll be joining the club soon - I have a Lenovo W540 on order with an IPS 2880x1620 display. In the office I'll have it docked to two 24" 1920x1200 screens. I much prefer 16:10 to 16:9, but there aren't many 16:10 laptop screens these days.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014   #10
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

Wouldn't most want 2 monitors, over one really wide one? Maybe 2 monitors of the same brand and model, if possible?

Olympus Passion Magazine
Idiot Savant AND trouble-maker...

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: