Print of scanned image has regular horizontal lines in the output.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Question Print of scanned image has regular horizontal lines in the output.

I have a friend who is having problems with their printer/scanner. She scans a 4x6 image of a print (flowers and vegetation) and then when she tries to print it at 8x10 size, every other line on the printed output is garbage. She has a Canon Pixma MP 510. I thought it might be because she is trying to print an image at a size that was larger than the original, but I am not sure.

I am hoping that someone has encountered a similar problem and found a solution that might be applicable here, or has some suggestions as to what to try to see if we can figure out why this is happening. Any insight that anyone would care to provide will greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

WesternGuy

Old 08-21-2014   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 169270948
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Print of scanned iamge has regular horizontal lines in the output.

I do not see any image attached or linked.
To determine if the problem is with the scanner, examine the original file output by the scanner by zooming in to 400 or 800 x in Photoshop or other editing s/w. If you see the missing or garbage lines then your scanner is the problem.
If the file is fine when zoomed in just before printing but the print is messed up, then there is a probl with the printer.
It is very unlikely that the s/w that up sized the image was the culprit unless some strangle algorithm was used to up-sample it.
Cheers, Murray
mistermonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 8600328
Editing OK?: Ask First

If she tries to print a directly taken digital image at 8x10 does it show the same issue.

How old is the printer? Have the inkjets been cleaned , via the printer maintenance feature.
Also some printers have an alignment setup that may be off.
The printer paper feeder may have an issue.

Eero Makela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014   #4
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
I do not see any image attached or linked.
To determine if the problem is with the scanner, examine the original file output by the scanner by zooming in to 400 or 800 x in Photoshop or other editing s/w. If you see the missing or garbage lines then your scanner is the problem.
If the file is fine when zoomed in just before printing but the print is messed up, then there is a probl with the printer.
It is very unlikely that the s/w that up sized the image was the culprit unless some strangle algorithm was used to up-sample it.
Cheers, Murray
Thanks Murray. I had problems with the upload and forgot to correct the posting - sorry about that. I will follow up on your suggestions.

WesternGuy
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014   #5
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eero Makela View Post
If she tries to print a directly taken digital image at 8x10 does it show the same issue.

How old is the printer? Have the inkjets been cleaned , via the printer maintenance feature.
Also some printers have an alignment setup that may be off.
The printer paper feeder may have an issue.
Eero, I am not sure about directly printing an image, but I will definitely ask her. I am not sure how old the printer is and I did suggest that she try re-installing the printer and cleaning the inkjets, but I will suggest it again and see if she has done it. Thanks.

WesternGuy

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: