Need your advice please
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 627821
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Need your advice please

In the past few days I have done a lot of research on new Monitors. Currently using and older Asus VE249 that seems to be getting dimmer by the day even though I X-Rite Calibrate Bi-Weekly. Overall it was never a good Photography monitor so this is a good excuse to upgrade Anyway I'm pulling the trigger on a new ASUS PA279Q IPS monitor. My question is this:

Even though I'm a research junkie I admittedly know little to nothing about graphic cards. NOTE: I don't game on my computer at all and only occasionally edit video. so here is my question:

1) Given my specs below does it make sense (ie, will I see any type of improvement) upgrading the Graphics Card at the same time?

CPU - Itel Core i7 2600 @ 3.40GHz
RAM - 16GB
Windows 7 64-Bit
Graphics Card - ATI Radeon HD 5670

2) If I would see an upgrade on performance by upgrading the card I have narrowed that down to the Nvidia GTX 750 Ti (although I am open to other suggestions)...that being said which model of that card? B&H shows (3) different versions of the GTX 750 Ti - Here is the link : Nvidia GTX 750 Ti | B&H Photo Video

Thank-you in advance for all comments.

Old 05-06-2014   #2
Alpaca

Default Re: Need your advice please

Anyone?
Blownvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 661924
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
1) Given my specs below does it make sense (ie, will I see any type of improvement) upgrading the Graphics Card at the same time?
Improvement in what? As long as the current graphics card will accommodate the native resolution of your new monitor, a new card will do nothing to improve the appearance of your images. However depending on what (photo editing) software you use, or are planning to use, the graphics card may be an important component. Check the software manufacturer's recommendations for cards that will allow optimal function of the programs.
Old 05-07-2014   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 8600328
Editing OK?: Ask First

I am using an ATI Radeon HD 5450 works fine for 99% of my photo editing needs (has a minor screen refresh issue that I have learned to live with)
CPU 2.67Ghz
6.0GB RAM
Windows 64bit

Eero Makela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #5
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumesan View Post
Improvement in what? As long as the current graphics card will accommodate the native resolution of your new monitor, a new card will do nothing to improve the appearance of your images. However depending on what (photo editing) software you use, or are planning to use, the graphics card may be an important component. Check the software manufacturer's recommendations for cards that will allow optimal function of the programs.
Improvement in what? Thats why I asked the question I was just getting some conflicting information the more I researched. As I mentioned I really do not know anything about benefits of high end graphics cards when it comes to Photography specifically...I do understand, from my research, the value of gaming and video.

You answered my question perfectly, thank-you. My biggest concern was the monitors ability to produce the color accuracy (specifically) of a higher end monitor paired with a lower end and/or older graphics card. I don't really care about refresh rate or video persay.
Old 05-07-2014   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 316487

I second what Blumesan said.

If Gaming is in your future, I would forget the 750ti and go with at least a 760.

None of these however, will affect how Photoshop makes images look on your monitor. The colors and such will remain the same if that's what your asking. The ATI card would be just fine.
gumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #7
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumper View Post
I second what Blumesan said.

If Gaming is in your future, I would forget the 750ti and go with at least a 760.

None of these however, will affect how Photoshop makes images look on your monitor. The colors and such will remain the same if that's what your asking. The ATI card would be just fine.
Thanks everyone. Appreciate the feedback and comments
Old 05-07-2014   #8
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First

Just a note, check the graphics card requirement for power, and make sure your PC's power supply can pump out enough.

Techie? Read this

Olympus Passion Magazine
Idiot Savant AND trouble-maker...

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: