DXO Optics Pro or Lightroom?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 482489
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default DXO Optics Pro or Lightroom?

When I get my D7100 in a few weeks, I'll need a new RAW converter (currently using ACR 6.7) for basic colour/exposure/lens correction, then into Photoshop CS5 for everything else). I have no organization of my images, though recently I've started to use Adobe Bridge to mark the images for identification. When I get the new camera, I will attempt to be better organized with my images so wouldn't mind something with some cataloguing functionality.

I downloaded the demo of DXO yesterday, and I'm blown away by the quality. The only downside is is really slow compared to ACR and will, I'm sure become twice as slow when I upgrade to a 24MP sensor from my current 12MP! Also, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of organizational/cataloguing tools like there are in Lightroom.

I did a search and it didn't come up with a whole lot on the subject. Just wondering if there are many other users of DXO on here, and can share experiences, good or bad?

Old 05-01-2014   #2
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: DXO Optics Pro or Lightroom?

I used to use DXO but as you say, great image quality but slow. Then I switched to Nikon Capture NX2, with the added advantage that all my in-camera settings were read by the software. Yet, NX2 is probably the most user unfriendly software I know.

Then I switched to Lightroom and that's what I've settled on. Maybe not so good image quality but decent enough. As most people normally apply 10,000 effects over the original image, then raw image quality doesn't matter that much as you'll be modifying to the point that the original image is no loger recognizable.

The great added bonus with LR, the best in my opinion, is the included asset management. Start filling the info or you'll regret when your image collection grows.

Hope it helps,

Eduardo
Fotógrafo Profesional en Coatzacoalcos, Veracruz, México ? Eduardo Machuca Torres
eduardoMachuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1357379
Editing OK?: Ask first

I'm not a Nikon user so can't comment on their software. However, I certainly agree with Eduardo on the quality of LR. You can download and try for a 30 day period before you decide.
Old 05-01-2014   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2898382

I use (and like) DxO Optics Pro 9 for all of my wide angle shots. I also purchased Viewpoint 2 on sale for $35. I rarely have to go there but it's available.

Dell Windows 7, i5, 6 GB ram > a 38mb D800 raw image takes ~ 30 seconds to process.

My sessions are relatively small with two or three dozen shots. I make my adjustments, click process and go have a coffee

Why would ACR not work for you anymore ?

I still use Elements 11 for some processing with a D7100 and D800.

Lightroom appears to get lots of praise but I'm the odd one out, I don't care for it.

I find the sessions/catalog awkward and although you have a choice I do not wish to work in DNG. Download that trial and see what you think.

My feeling is that one program does not do all. Some images "look" better processed in ACR compared to DxO and visa versa. Some of the tools also work a little differently in one compared to the other.

And some comes down to personal preference, hence my current dislike of Lightroom

Cheers, Don
Don Kondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #5
Vicuna

ACR won't work because there's no profile for the D7100 in the version I have, so an upgrade of some sort is definitely required. I spent a little time with Lightroom this afternoon. I'm really, really torn now. It has a lot broader functionality than DxO but the ease of getting amazing quality just isn't there and it doesn't feel as intuitive to me. Since I haven't used either before,they should be on level ground so to speak. I'm sure this doesn't matter to a pro, but I'm far from one so it does matter to me. Even though DxO is somewhat sluggish, its still faster to get a really great looking image, even when the original is less than stellar. It lacks all the management tools which is something of an issue - I really need to have something to organize my images. Maybe there's something else that can do a good job of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post
I use (and like) DxO Optics Pro 9 for all of my wide angle shots. I also purchased Viewpoint 2 on sale for $35. I rarely have to go there but it's available.

Dell Windows 7, i5, 6 GB ram > a 38mb D800 raw image takes ~ 30 seconds to process.

My sessions are relatively small with two or three dozen shots. I make my adjustments, click process and go have a coffee

Why would ACR not work for you anymore ?

I still use Elements 11 for some processing with a D7100 and D800.

Lightroom appears to get lots of praise but I'm the odd one out, I don't care for it.

I find the sessions/catalog awkward and although you have a choice I do not wish to work in DNG. Download that trial and see what you think.

My feeling is that one program does not do all. Some images "look" better processed in ACR compared to DxO and visa versa. Some of the tools also work a little differently in one compared to the other.

And some comes down to personal preference, hence my current dislike of Lightroom

Cheers, Don
d90709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #6
Dromedary

Can't help with the management part, I'm old school accounting and use a file system

Cheers, Don
Old 05-01-2014   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

Not Cheap but damn good: Capture One Pro 7 - photo editor with world renowned image quality

They have a free trial.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #8
Dromedary

And usually goes on sale in the summer time

And the trial is 60 days..

Cheers, Don
Old 05-02-2014   #9
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 43713362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post
Can't help with the management part, I'm old school accounting and use a file system

Cheers, Don
Ditto, I'm in the same boat and can vouch for the superb quality that DxO gives you. The interface is also a joy to use. Another plus point is that DxO issues updates for new camera and lenses much more frequently than Adobe does.

Martin
Martin

Once photography enters your bloodstream, it is like a disease.

Software: Too numerous to list but my most used utility is ShiftN for perspective correction

Gear: Canon G12, no tripod, no lenses, no flash, no remote, no cases or bags!

Stiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014   #10
Vicuna

To start wIth , I've decided to stick with my old combination of ACR and Photoshop and am simply using the DNG converter to make compatible RAW files - the conversion is a bit slow but it means I can get use bridge as my organizer for now. I have decided that DxO is just too resource intensive. Might pick up Lightroom down the road. Contemplating the possibility of a Windows 8 tablet maybe in the next crop of processor upgrades, and think that Lightroom would be much more usable than DxO on a tablet. I wouldn't be using it for serious editing, but hope it would be okay for casual stuff.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: