Photo uploads
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 110875
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Question Photo uploads

I have some photos I would like to share. The problem is they are way to large to upload. My question is how do I reduce the size of the file without messing it up? Right now the pictures are approx 3500x3000 pixels.I need to cut them down to 1024X1024 and I do not know how. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-13-2014   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 6146683
Default Re: Photo uploads

You can re-size it with virtually any photo editor, GIMP and Picassa can be downloaded for free. Save it as a copy, you don't want to overwrite your original file.
Mike67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 44269892

IrfanView is another free image editor. You can do batch resizing very easily and the resized images will be saved into a directory designated by you. So you don't need to copy the originals. After resizing you will need to sharpen the images as they tend to get softer.
Old 04-14-2014   #4
Vicuna

Thank you for your help, I will give those a shot.
splitload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 169270948

Is the reason that the files are too large your Internet upload speed is very slow, or because you do not have sufficient storage space where you are hosting the file (ie max file sizes imposed by Flickr and others), or because you are trying to share the files directly via email attachments?
mistermonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #6
Vicuna

I am hoping to share files on the camel. The size required is no larger than 1024x1024. My files are aprox 3500X3000. I have plenty of space and bandwidth. Thank you for your reply.
Old 04-14-2014   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 169270948

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitload View Post
I am hoping to share files on the camel. The size required is no larger than 1024x1024. My files are aprox 3500X3000. I have plenty of space and bandwidth. Thank you for your reply.
Photoshop or any image editing s/w can downsize to 1024 px without quality loss BUT that is not all you need to worry about. When you attach your file to Camel, it still needs to be a max of 250KB in size which is difficult to do with images which are 1024 px unless you save at low jpg quality. If the file size is >250KB, the Camel engine will downsize your file further making it blurry / soft and with compression artifacts. It will also strip out any color space info from the files.
So, I recommend you get an account at a file hosting site like Mediafire. You can have a free account with lots of file storage and more download bandwidth than you will need to support Camel downloads. For $2/month you can purchase a huge amount of storage space and more download bandwith than you will likely use. You can post direct links and embed them in your Camel posts. You images will not get fuzzy from being downsampled by Camel to fit into the 250KB max file size.
However, you should still limit the max dimension to 1024 on the large side otherwise the web pages will take too long to load.
Cheers, Murray
mistermonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #8
Vicuna

Thank you mistermonday, I will check them out, I was unaware that it was a 250kb limit also, learning something new every day thanks to the good people at the camel.
Old 04-17-2014   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 264276
Editing OK?: Ask First

As mentioned above just make sure you "save as" a new copy. Don't resize and then "save" as that will overwrite the original, larger file (which you may want at some point for printing etc).
Dan Marchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014   #10
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 46181528
Editing OK?: Ask First

I would also say don't use the option Save for Web as it strips the exif data from the image and this is of great interest for helping people and learning from others.

www.kevinagar.uk

My flickr site

Bird Life List 1241
Bird Photographed Life List 1050
Canon 7DMkII, 7D, 500L F4.0, 100-400L, 1.4 Extender, Speedlite 430EXII
Frogstar is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: