Computer Opens New tabs on its own
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 416203
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Computer Opens New tabs on its own

Help, my wife bought this pos HP from Staples. Staples then tried to extort money from her telling her it wouldn't run right unless she paid them a $50.00 ransom to remove the self sabotaging hidden software. She refused to pay the ransom, now when I try to browse or do anything on the net new tabs open up and tell me all kinds of BS like I need to Down load this player or that player or Jave. I X them out and they come back two minutes later. These aren't pop ups like I'm used to they are actually new tabs that automatically open, not pop ups that are generated from web sites you may be own. For example I might just be on Yahoo or Google and this crap happens.
Anyone know what files I need to delete. I'm not the kind of guy who feels comfrtable in config.sys or similar scary places.
Thanks

eosxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 316487
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Computer Opens New tabs on its own

Sorry to hear about the problems with the HP.
So just a guess here as Im not in front of your computer.
What OS is it? I assume Windows 8. (they do sell Win 7 still)
More detail is needed for more specific help. Otherwise...

If its brand new it probably is needing updates for the browser and such. Flash Player will need to be installed or updated and if Java is installed, it is probably prompting you as well. When you visit a web page that requires Flash, You will be prompted to install it if its not on there. This is normal
As far as Google search page opening a new tab asking you to install Flash, that one is not normal. You wont get prompted for installing flash or Java unless you go to a page requiring it. I would need to see it to know whats happening. Need more info.

HP also installs "crapware" that can be removed easily.
Start/Control Panel/Programs and features then uninstall the undesired programs/toolbars from there.

Windows 8 does not come with the traditional video player windows used to, so HP installs Power DVD suite to compensate for that. It will prompt you at the beginning if you want to upgrade but you should be able to opt out of that.

I prefer to install Firefox instead of using IE. Others prefer Google Chrome.

CCleaner is a good tool to install for cleaning out cookies, cache files, etc. and its free.
PC Decrapifier is a decent tool for listing junkware to remove all at once.
Scan your system for malware. Malwarebytes is free and wont conflict with anti-virus.

Also you need to create the Windows Recovery disks or USB drive in case you need to restore windows back to factory condition or if you replace the hard drive some day.
gumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #3
Llama

Quote:
Staples then tried to extort money from her telling her it wouldn't run right unless she paid them a $50.00 ransom to remove the self sabotaging hidden software.
All major mfg's like HP, Dell, Asus, etc. install the dreaded Crap-ware. Its how they can sell the computers a tiny bit cheaper than they do. They actually get paid to do it. The stores that sell them have no control over this. Some like Staples will remove and do what ever fixes you want but they want paid for doing it. Best Buy will be the same way. If you went to Costco or Sams, they don't offer this service at all, you're on your own.

Sorry, its just how it is.
Old 04-30-2014   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 63623

I would like to know this also cuz the same is happening to me
pixelchix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #5
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelchix View Post
I would like to know this also cuz the same is happening to me
OK, what is it exactly that's happening and what computer model/OS do you have? Is it a new system or you've had it for a while?
Old 05-01-2014   #6
Guanaco

I've had this comp for about 6 yrs. Dell. Never had anything pop up before about 1 month ago. popups for java, driver updates, flashplayer. High cpu usage. I know it is something I must have done. Browse in firefox. Really don't want to wipe the comp. Really can't browse at all. Don't know what are ads or what is a real update. Afraid to click on anything. I did go to my programs and unistalled some things I recognized. Might have gotten a bit better but is still driving me crazy
Old 05-01-2014   #7
Llama

Oh, got ya. Are they all separate warnings or are the various programs that need updated on one warning? I am wondering if you are infected with crapware wanting you to buy their updater to fix all the issues at once. High CPU usage could be a good sign your infected if your not doing anything at that moment thats CPU intensive.

Have you looked in the Task Manager to see the all processes running at the time you get this warning? I assume Vista?
Also have you noticed any TOOLBARS in your browser recently?
Go to Start/Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a program and look in the list to see if anything with the word toolbar is in there.

You may need to run a series of antivirus and anti-malware programs.

Also on a side note, do you have a copy of your Dell Recovery disks burned in case you do have to reload windows?
Old 05-03-2014   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 264276
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelchix View Post
I've had this comp for about 6 yrs. Dell. Never had anything pop up before about 1 month ago. popups for java, driver updates, flashplayer. High cpu usage.
This isn't manufacturer crapware or it would have shown up earlier. This is almost certainly malware that has been picked up while browsing. You should use something like Malwarebytes (Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software) to scan your computer.
Dan Marchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014   #9
Guanaco

I did the malwarebytes and still have things popping up all over the place. I'll keep working on it
Old 05-05-2014   #10
Guanaco

Well it seems like the problem is fixed. Will I ever need the paid version? Thank you all so much for your help

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: