Photoshelter vs Squarespace
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6617978
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Photoshelter vs Squarespace

I currently host my commercial photo site on Photoshelter. Their cheapest is just under $10 but only offers one template with their minimal offerings. Squarespace has a similar offering but it seems they have a greater selection for customizing a site. Both allow me to link my domain name to their site and both offer ecommerce.

Currently I am not really happy with Photoshelter's single, non customizable look. Of the few reviews about Squarespace I've read, it seems they have a better product. I don't need a lot, right now it's just a portfolio site. But I would like something i know I could grow into with a blog, workshop promotions, ebook sales, etc.

Does anyone have experience with Squarespace (or both)? I'd love to hear your feedback on their service.

Old 04-25-2014   #2
F1 Camel

Default Re: Photoshelter vs Squarespace

BUMP!
Anyone have any comments?
Tat2Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193

Didn't see this until you bumped it.

Personally I use PhotoShelter, but mostly to host invisible client galleries for download.

I like supporting PhotoShelter because I feel that their team is keenly interested in promoting the welfare of professional photography. Grover and Allen give back so much in the form of webinars and other free resources (through PhotoShelter, Mamiya Group's MAC On Campus, etc.)

The last time I looked at Squarespace, it didn't seem to offer any kind of sophisticated ecommerce functions. It was more for building a pretty website as opposed to PhotoShelter, which was commerce-oriented. A friend of mine was using Squarespace mostly because it offered an easier to learn alternative to WordPress.

Granted, this was a few years ago, back when Zenfolio (ugh), PhotoShelter, and SmugMug were the only major photography ecommerce players. Graph Paper Press was around but they didn't offer ecommerce solutions yet.

FWIW, I'm indirectly-connected to PhotoShelter in the sense that some of the PhotoShelter guys were from the founding team at SportsShooter, and I'm friends with the founders of SportsShooter, so I'm a little biased.
Old 04-25-2014   #4
F1 Camel

Biased or not, your input is exactly what I'm looking for. As I mentioned, I am looking for something that allows me to expand gracefully into. As I have not personally experienced SquareSpace, I can not really compare the two on an option by option basis. However, from their site it seems S.S. has more to offer that P.S. But that's just me reading the cover. I'd like to hear from someone who is on S.S. now or has experienced S.S. and can give me some inside info.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2014   #5
Camel Breath

Squarespace had easier to use development tools for making things pretty and cool and stuff. My friend showed me what he was doing with it, but this was nearly four years ago.

PhotoShelter had some form of Wordpress and Graph Paper Press integration, but it was more bleeding edge. I never really got anywhere learning to do it, but done right it can look amazing. I saw a website a few years ago built through Graph Paper a Press and PhotoShelter that was stunning with integrated blog and ecommerce, but I think he hired a guy to help him set it up, and had inside connections with PhotoShelter.

I haven't had a chance to get into Photoshelter's new "Beam" stuff.
Old 04-25-2014   #6
F1 Camel

Thanks for the tip on the Graph Paper. I'll have to check that out. On the surface, P.S.'s Beam doesn't interest me all that much. We'll see where that goes.
Old 04-25-2014   #7
Camel Breath

FWIW, I was trying to simultaneously build something using Graph Paper Press and a different website on PhotoShelter.

Didn't really happen the way I envisioned it.

Personally, I was interested in learning WordPress since a lot of things seemed to be using the architecture. Never got really far into it before I had too many headaches and other distractions.

In the links in my signature, Michael Chen Photo is powered by PhotoShelter, but it's main purpose is hosting images for download. California-Wildlife is built on an ancient (by internet standards) Graph Paper Press template.

cyclohexane is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: