Windows Vista's dirty little secrets - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007   #11
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 1688
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Windows Vista's dirty little secrets

Maybe it's time to consider alternatives to Windows.
Old 02-05-2007   #12
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake
Do what I did Sell my computer for 800. turn around buy a dell for 1000. google a coupon code for 250$ and meet the requirements for a free version of windows vista premium version.
Kind of a long way to go to get a copy of a bloated OS that doesn't really add much at all to the computing experience except prettier screens, isn't it?

I mean, what do you really get for your time and/or money? A much larger installation on the ole hard drive, a higher requirement for RAM, and the need for a faster processor, and

I agree with Cedric.....

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #13
dc2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 290

I will wait a fair time for the price to drop and any bugs to be ironed out before thinking about it. Its to early yet to find out all its problems
Canon 1Ds2
I lost faith in religion as a child when I saw a lightning conductor being fitted to the local church.
RSPB Member.
dc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #14
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedric_r
Maybe it's time to consider alternatives to Windows.
Ah, there speaks a Linux man if I'm not mistaken . TBH, I like all different OS's for lots of different reasons. Right now I'm in the office typing this on an iMac running OSX. A great OS, but frustrating in some areas. I also have a Windows notebook next to me, and a Linux box under the desk. Looking after *NIX systems is my day job. My perfect OS would be the software availability of Windows, the slickness of OSX, and the price point of Linux.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #15
Bactrian

I heard of people running PS in wine. Never tried it myself (having no paying software at home anymore), I'm happy with The Gimp given that I do very little post processing on my photos and I use mainly JPEGs.
Old 02-05-2007   #16
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS
My perfect OS would be the software availability of Windows, the slickness of OSX, and the price point of Linux.
LOL.

My favorite camera would have the functionality of a 1DS Mark II and the price of a Brownie.
Old 02-05-2007   #17
senses working overtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt
LOL.

My favorite camera would have the functionality of a 1DS Mark II and the price of a Brownie.
Well if you wait long enough I'm sure it'll get drop down to that level. Of course by then you'll be lusting after the 1DS Mark IX.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007   #18
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 27

We all hate microsoft. We all hate windows...but get over it everyone uses it and it doesn't seem like any major company will be making a change. Major, small, medium I don't see companies switching something like an operating system or the computers. As stupid as people are out there they can barely handle windows and have to get the geek squad to help them with that.. I can only imagine what would happen if someone switched them to OSX they might actually understand what is going on..but it won't happe. Sorry
Old 02-06-2007   #19
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake
We all hate microsoft. We all hate windows...but get over it everyone uses it and it doesn't seem like any major company will be making a change. Major, small, medium I don't see companies switching something like an operating system or the computers. As stupid as people are out there they can barely handle windows and have to get the geek squad to help them with that.. I can only imagine what would happen if someone switched them to OSX they might actually understand what is going on..but it won't happe. Sorry
I disagree with that. Most companies I know (including where I work) have more and more Linux servers. I also know very large companies and government organisations that have switched to thin Linux clients because they're much easier to maintain. Microsoft gets away with pretty much anything because people are lazy and afraid of change, not because they have better or more user friendly solutions.
Old 02-06-2007   #20
senses working overtime

There is also a mindset amongst many managers and decision makers to not move to something that doesn't have formal support. I've seen decisions made here where we've paid well over the odds for some functionality that we could have picked up much more cheaply, but didn't have the associated account managers and '24/7' support costs. Red Hat are trying to move into that area with their (rather expensive) Enterprise Linux setup. I guess it helps the decision makers sleep better at night knowing they're able to pass on problems to a 3rd party.

Anyway, back to Vista. One of the things that I've been concerned about was the DRM that was supposed to be built-in to Vista. According to link though MS have kept that part of it low key due to the fact that it may already have been bypassed (which is great news if true - I'm not a hacker or warez merchant but I do like to have control over my own content). After the fiasco of Plays4Sure/Sky/FairUse4WM you'd have thought they'd have learned some lessons...

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: