Drobo 5D issues
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Drobo 5D issues

Just installed a new Drobo 5D few days ago and the PC is having issues seeing it. Followed everything they suggested in their site (update Dashboard, update firmware, check Firewall settings...etc), but still no go. The only way to make it work is to disconnect then re-connect the USB 3.0 cable.

Has anybody encountered such an issue with their Drobo. If so, how did you fix it.

I'm asking here because I think it's some minor thing that needs to be done in Win 7.

Cheers

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 316487
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Drobo 5D issues

Well I don't see anyone responding. Sorry I am not a Drobo user. I have had issues with other usb devices not being seen when plugged in sometimes and wondered if your issue could be related.
I have experienced a sort of driver conflict if a lot of drivers are installed on a usb port and removing them resolved the issue.

Wondered if that could be a possibility here? Did Drobo's support staff touch on that or does it happen on all the ports?
gumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes

I am not a Drobo user, but I have remember reading multiple articles regarding issues with Drobos. Here is a link to an article from Scott Kelby.

I’m Done with drobo | Scott Kelby's Photoshop Insider

Regards,

110yd
110yd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014   #4
Camel Breath

Gumper, by "installed on a usb port" do you mean a USB hub. If that's the case then no, Drobo is attached directly to the PC.

110yd, read that article few months ago. It's either Mr. Kelby is exaggerating (unlikely), or he is extremely unlucky

Thank you, guys.
Old 01-31-2014   #5
Llama

Quote:
Gumper, by "installed on a usb port" do you mean a USB hub. If that's the case then no, Drobo is attached directly to the PC.
No, I mean the actual port on the tower itself. You can uninstall the drivers associated with that.

I will attempt to explain what I mean. Hopefully it will make sense. I'm not always the best at explaining text wise.

Drivers have to install on a port for the computer to know what to do with that device. Sometimes too many drivers can cause a hickup. In that case its better to remove all the drivers not being used there and start over.
---------------------------------
Open a command prompt (Go to Start and type CMD in the Search Bar. Click on CMD to open the prompt) and type
set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
and hit Enter. Next type
devmgmt.msc
and hit Enter.
In the device manager menu, click View and enable Show hidden device.

At the bottom of the list you should see Universal Serial Bus controllers.
Click the drop down arrow to reveal all the usb ports.

I imagine the Drobo will be identified as a USB Mass Storage Device and if its not plugged in, that port will be greyed out. When you plug it in, the port will now be fully visible. That will be the port to uninstall the drivers from.

Make sure the Drobo is unplugged first so that port is greyed out again, then right click to choose Uninstall.
When you plug the device in the drivers should go through the process of re-installing.

Tip: when I plug a cord and see which port is now fully visible, I click to highlight that port so I know which one it is when I unplug the cord again.

Not saying this is the problem with your Drobo issue, but it would be part of the trouble shooting process. Drobo I think should have offered to just replace the unit IMHO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (95.6 KB, 48 views)
Old 01-31-2014   #6
Llama

Also if your using a front USB port on the tower, switch to one built in on the back of the Mobo. Just in case its a physical issue of the port itself.
Old 01-31-2014   #7
Camel Breath

Gumper, first, thank you very much for the effort!

Second, while I'm not an IT person but I think you are in the right track. Was talking to my IT friend yesterday (before posting here) and he basically said the same thing as you are saying. That it's a driver issue not a Drobo issue.

I will think about attempting your suggestion, but if I don't have the courage, I will ask family or friends IT people.

Again, thank you very much.
Old 01-31-2014   #8
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumper View Post
Also if your using a front USB port on the tower, switch to one built in on the back of the Mobo.
I only have two USB 3.0 ports, and both are at the back.

Speaking of which, earlier today I ordered this USB 3.0 board from B&H. Wish Buffalo make 4 or 6 ports of the same model.

Oh, and karma on the house
Old 01-31-2014   #9
Llama

Yes its a little daunting to mess with and if your in doubt, get a tech to do it.

Thanks for the K.
Old 01-31-2014   #10
Llama

Nice board, cant have too many ports.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: