Drobo 5D issues - Page 4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014   #31
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Drobo 5D issues

I think I need to re-boot to see any effect.

Two, shame on the Broncos. They didn't even attempt to put up a fight. Shame on them.
Old 02-05-2014   #32
Llama

CamelKarma: 316487
Editing OK?: Ask first

Hey this may or may not do anything but sometimes it fixes an external drive that detaches itself at start up like what your Drobo is doing.

Go to Computer and right click on the Drobo drive. (I assume it show up as a drive with a drive letter)
Click on Properties. Choose the Hardware tab. Select the Drobo drive in the list by clicking on it once.
Click on the Properties button.
Select "Policies" tab or if you don't see it, click on Change settings and you will find it there.
Inside Policies, if Better Perfomance is selected, select Quick Removal instead.
Click OK

Reboot

See if that makes any difference. If not, switch it back.
gumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #33
Llama

If the above workaround doesn’t work, then I think I may have the only other solution I can come up with. I came across an article that clued me in on something I didn’t think about. Another guy had the same thing with his external drive. As per the suggestion to try a USB 2.0 port, plug it in to one of those and reboot. If the Drobo is recognized, then you might have your answer finally. It’s per the Bios

In some occasions the BIOS doesn't recognize the controller or thinks it’s a legacy USB device. When you “re-plug” the device, Windows get an interrupt and initiates a Check Hardware command. It then dynamically loads the USB3 driver and you now see your drive. This could explain the yellow question mark you saw in the Device Manager.

You need to make sure you have the correct or updated USB 3.0 driver for the Motherboard. Not to be confused with the Drobo driver. Also may need to update the Bios.

The workaround for the other guy was to use a powered USB 3 Hub (which has its own drivers) and plug the external drive into that. The drive is now recognized at first boot.

You ordered a second USB 3 card which when installed should act as the same thing (At least I think it will in theory).

If your computer is a ready built, you will have to go to their website to get the drivers, Bios, etc.
Old 02-07-2014   #34
Camel Breath

Thanks, gumper.

Following your instructions, it's already on Quick Removal.

I'll try your second suggestion (using a USB hub. I have a USB 3.0 one). If that doesn't work then I have a technician coming next week to install the new Buffalo USB 3.0 board I told you about. I'll ask him to have a look.

Btw, I also have this in Device Manager
Attached Images
File Type: png Drobo issue.PNG (2.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 02-07-2014   #35
Camel Breath

Cheers, mate. I appreciate the effort.
Old 02-07-2014   #36
Llama

Glad to do it. It's how I learn.
That must be the Drobo's raid configuration showing. I wonder what your bios reports about the Drobo at start up. Your Tech would probably want to check that when he installs your card.

And do keep us updated on the results of the Hub/Card install. That is what I'm voting will be the fix at this point. I think I have exhausted all my ideas now. lol
Old 02-07-2014   #37
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumper View Post
And do keep us updated on the results of the Hub/Card install.
Of course I will. This issue is a fun challenge, I think. I'm not an IT person (obviously), but I'm dying to know the solution to the "puzzle".

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumper View Post
I think I have exhausted all my ideas now. lol
You have done a great job, mate. Thank you very much.

And yes, I will keep you updated

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: