Lightroom - No lens profile after export/import
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 3454539
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Lightroom - No lens profile after export/import

Any help with this would be appreciated. I just noticed yesterday that when I have RAW (DNG) files in my LR5.2 library, I can select the correct lens profile to apply. When I take three of those files and merge them together in Photomatix Pro they come back as a single TIFF file. Now LR only has one lens profile available, and it is the wrong one.

This is happening with my Sony NEX-7 and Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DI-III VC. With the RAW files I have a list of Tamron lenses from which to choose, and the correct one is available. For the merged TIFF file, however, only a single Tamron lens is available for selection, and it is not the lens I used.

If anyone has any ideas about this and can get me past it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

a Nikon and Windows kind of guy
SumptuousArt.com | Me on 500px
SA_Tosterud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 3332465
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Lightroom - No lens profile after export/import

I have the same with some of my Canon lenses, but some have profiles in JPEG as well as RAW. I assume it depends on what Adobe has created with the more popular lenses done first.
Old 10-23-2013   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 43713362

Steve, I have only just spotted this.

Why don't you do your lens correction (and RAW noise reduction) before tonemapping
with Photomatix. That is my workflow with Photoshop and I think it is the modus operandi
of most of the Cameels on the HDR board who need to do lens correction. There are
some disadvantages using this method which were discussed recently by mistermonday
recently in the HDR Clinic.

Martin
Martin

Once photography enters your bloodstream, it is like a disease.

Software: Too numerous to list but my most used utility is ShiftN for perspective correction

Gear: Canon G12, no tripod, no lenses, no flash, no remote, no cases or bags!

Stiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 58394711
Editing OK?: Ask First

I have been doing lens correction in LR5 before exporting to Photomatix.
Just click on all three (or more) and do lens correction on one of them and synch.
The same thing had happened to me, not having the right lenses to choose from after processing.

BambersImages Flickr
Etsy Shop Print Sales

Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you.
“Happiness is a habit – cultivate it.” ~ Elbert Hubbar
A Camera puts a frame around life. ~ Joel Meyerowitz
BambersImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 169270948

There is a trade off and you need to decide what your priorities are. Some tools are optimized for certain functions but not others.
For example, LR and ACR do a excellent job at removing Chromatic Aberrations and Noise in a RAW file. You can verify this opening an image in ACR or LR, check the Auto CA Removal box or apply a value of 25 on the Color Noise slider and make no other changes and export the files as 16 bit TIFFs in ProPhoto (to avoid color clipping). If you then open the same RAW files in ACR or LR, make no adjustment, make no CA correction, and turn NR off, save those files as ProPhoto 16 bit TIFFs, and then reopen those TIFFs in ACR / LR using File>Open As, and perform CA removal and NR, your results will not be as good as the results above you got by performing those actions directly on the RAW data.
Furthermore, if you feed those unmodified TIFF files into an HDR program the results will not be as good as when you feed the RAW files directly into the HDR program.
The reason is that every program that opens a RAW file needs to make a number of interpretations and conversions of linear data into something we can visualize. In doing so, some assumptions are made regarding brightness and contrast and white points and dark points. The output of every RAW processor in the default opening with no adjustments will look noticeably different and you can see the stark differences by overlaying the results in PS with each layer set to Difference blend mode. While the differences may not appear too dramatically different in some cases, the effects when these sets are fed into a specific HDR application usually are dramatically different and very visibly noticeable. And while ACR/LR is the most effective app for reducing CA and Noise in RAW files, it is one of the worst processors of RAW files for other attributes.
Having spend hundreds of hours running benchmarks I have concluded that it is best not to pre-process any RAWs unless absolutely necessary and I only do so when source files have high CA or low light induced strong noise.
To answer Steve's question, Adobe believes that CA, Noise, and Optical distortion, are most effectively corrected on the RAW file but after the file is converted to a TIFF those corrections can not be done as effectively or at all because the data has changed and the profiles are different in a TIFF than in the RAW data.
Cheers, Murray

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: