Moving my image library
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Question Moving my image library

Well, the time has finally come, my C: (1Tb) drive is almost full (mostly digital images) and so I acquired a 2Tb expansion drive to accommodate my images. This means I have to move my Pictures Library and all the files in it to this new drive. Being a relative newby at this sort of thing, I am hoping I can get some very detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to move these files without "screwing" it up. This would make my the new location for my Pictures Library resident on the G: drive (the letter assigned to it by Win 7) and I would be able to continue building my image library until that drive is full and I need to find another way to "store" the images. I have questions about this, most of which will happen as I try to make this happen. For example, can I move only part of the "Pictures" library files? Would it be best to move all my "Libraries" - pictures, documents, etc., to the new drive and free up all the "Library" space for any new apps that come along. Along with moving the Library files, are there other files that need to be changed or moved? I am running Windows 7 and Lightroom 5.2. My G: drive is attached through a USB3 port.

One serious question concerns Lightroom and how I tell it that the Lightroom Library has moved.

This are all the "questions" I can think of at this time, but there may be more to come. Any insight that anyone would care to provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

WesternGuy

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 9679634
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Moving my image library

The MOST important thing is something you haven't mentioned - do you have these photographs backed on another drive or elsewhere ??
It only needs one "mistake" and you could lose everything !

You mention that your photographs are on your "C" drive - this is the drive that is doing all the work in your machine - even if you have two drives it is the one most likely to fail as it usually contains all your programme software.

I would suggest that you copy all your photographs to an external drive - by all means put your other stuff (documents etc) on that drive. Do it VERY carefully.
Once you have done this get another HDD and transfer all your photographs to this as well and use this drive as your "working" store. If you have a desktop you should be able to put another HDD inside your existing case - if it is a laptop (not the best thing for photo processing anyway !) you will probably have to have an external drive.

I have Photoshop on my "C" drive - along with Windows and everything else - no photographs. I have a "B" drive inside the PC which contains nothing but photographs. I have two external HDDs ("Y" & "Z") to which I back up the contents of the "B" drive to. I also have another smaller external HDD ("X") which is my back up for all my docs etc on "C"

I am not acquainted with the filing system in LR; if it is anything like Elements it can be tricky to move stuff and keep track of it. In full Photoshop you just use the normal Windows filing system - a doddle !
moonrakerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #3
F1 Camel

moonrakerz,l thanks for the info on the backup. I will definitely do that before I do anything else.

As far as "drives" go, I have everything now on my C: drive which is internal. I want to move stuff to an extension drive which Windows has assigned the G: letter. Your advice on putting another internal drive on my system is well taken, but my desktop is getting towards the end of its useful life to worry about doing that. If it is on an external drive, then I can just move it to the new hardware/system when it is implemented in the next year or so.

I want to maintain the "utility" of the Library functions in Win 7 (they will carry over to Win , so I need to know how to set that up, so that my Pictures library is now on the G: drive. As the technology is getting a bit beyond my understanding today, I am looking for help from someone who has done this sort of thing already and maybe they will share their experiences with me.

WesternGuy

Old 10-13-2013   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 8600328

NOTE/WARNING: I am not an expert however this has worked for me.

In light room you get an option to located the files once they are on the new location.

There should be tutorials out there on how to do this. I have moved many files and once the catalog losses connection to the images it shows a blank or ? thumbnail (I forget which) you can then Right click and "Find Missing Folder" in the Library module.

Note: it should also maintain all your image settings that are saved within the catalog.

Eero Makela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #5
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eero Makela View Post
NOTE/WARNING: I am not an expert however this has worked for me.

In light room you get an option to located the files once they are on the new location.

There should be tutorials out there on how to do this. I have moved many files and once the catalog losses connection to the images it shows a blank or ? thumbnail (I forget which) you can then Right click and "Find Missing Folder" in the Library module.

Note: it should also maintain all your image settings that are saved within the catalog.
Thanks for the information. I will see what I can find in the way of tutorials.

WesternGuy

Old 10-13-2013   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 797223
Editing OK?: Yes

On your your new drive make folders for the files you want moved. These folders do not have to be the same name as what you see on your current drive. Then follow the instructions here - How to Move Windows 7 Personal Folders Like My Documents to Another Drive

Hopefully in Lightroom and your hard disk you have one root folder where all of your photos are kept in sub folders. After moving your photos, open Lightroom and go to the root folder in the Library module, you should see a question mark on the folder, just right click the folder, select Update Folder Location, and then point it to where the photos are now located. Lightroom will hopefully rebuild the correct path for all photos. It is possible you may have to do this for several folders.
ClintS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #7
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintS View Post
On your your new drive make folders for the files you want moved. These folders do not have to be the same name as what you see on your current drive. Then follow the instructions here - How to Move Windows 7 Personal Folders Like My Documents to Another Drive

Hopefully in Lightroom and your hard disk you have one root folder where all of your photos are kept in sub folders. After moving your photos, open Lightroom and go to the root folder in the Library module, you should see a question mark on the folder, just right click the folder, select Update Folder Location, and then point it to where the photos are now located. Lightroom will hopefully rebuild the correct path for all photos. It is possible you may have to do this for several folders.
Clint, thanks for the reference. It has the type of simplicity that I like in these sort of "techie" matters. Thanks also for the insight on how to redirect Lightroom to my new library location. I do have one root folder where all my Lightroom images are kept. I learned about that when I first implemented LR - one of Scott Kelby's recommendations in his LR 3 book - I am now glad that I took it.

The transfer to the new G: drive is in process and Win 7 has indicated that it could take about 7 hours, or more, and I have already spent 4 hours backing some things up in case this process goes awry.

WesternGuy

Old 10-14-2013   #8
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 58394711

You should find that when you move from C drive to an external it will treat it as a copy rather than a move.
I regularly move huge chunks of data from one drive to another with no issues.
One thing that I do before deleting the original copy on the C drive is to open both copies up in separate windows and make sure that they match.
I check the top level to make sure that the amount of data is the same ie 250 Gb.
I check the amount of data for each folder.
Then I open each folder and compare the number of photos in each.
I open a number of photos in the new folders to check if they are ok.

To connect to the new drive via LR5, you need to delete the folders on your C drive via windows.
Then go into LR5 and right click on the question mark and navigate to where they now reside.
LR5 will automatically list the new drive and show the images on it with all of your edits from the previous drive.

7 hours may change depending on what else you are doing on your computer.
Could increase or decrease.

BambersImages Flickr
Etsy Shop Print Sales

Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you.
“Happiness is a habit – cultivate it.” ~ Elbert Hubbar
A Camera puts a frame around life. ~ Joel Meyerowitz
BambersImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #9
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 3937117
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambersImages View Post
To connect to the new drive via LR5, you need to delete the folders on your C drive via windows.
Then go into LR5 and right click on the question mark and navigate to where they now reside.
Better yet: After having copied over the images, *first rename* the folder containing the originals on your drive C using Windows Explorer. Then go into LR and point to the new location on your external drive as described above. If all goes well and the images are found by LR, delete the originals on drive C.

I'd also recommend keeping at least two sets of your images on separate hard drives, preferably in separate locations. Hard drives will fail eventually!

Cheers
Andreas
Valdecus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013   #10
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 58394711

Good point, Andreas. I hadn't renamed my original folder before, but will next time before deleting.

I keep a backup of all my photos on a separate drive. Also a backup of the LR5 catalogue on a separate drive.

WesternGuy did say that he had backed it up before moving.

BambersImages Flickr
Etsy Shop Print Sales

Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you.
“Happiness is a habit – cultivate it.” ~ Elbert Hubbar
A Camera puts a frame around life. ~ Joel Meyerowitz
BambersImages is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: