Moving my image library - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Moving my image library

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambersImages View Post
You should find that when you move from C drive to an external it will treat it as a copy rather than a move.
I regularly move huge chunks of data from one drive to another with no issues.
One thing that I do before deleting the original copy on the C drive is to open both copies up in separate windows and make sure that they match.
I check the top level to make sure that the amount of data is the same ie 250 Gb.
I check the amount of data for each folder.
Then I open each folder and compare the number of photos in each.
I open a number of photos in the new folders to check if they are ok.

To connect to the new drive via LR5, you need to delete the folders on your C drive via windows.
Then go into LR5 and right click on the question mark and navigate to where they now reside.
LR5 will automatically list the new drive and show the images on it with all of your edits from the previous drive.

7 hours may change depending on what else you are doing on your computer.
Could increase or decrease.
Actually, following the directions that ClintS put me on to, it did actually move the image files for Lightroom and a few others, to my G: drive - they are no longer on my C: drive. I simply pointed Lightroom to the new location of the catalog and it all worked. Now I have an additional 600-700 GBs free on my C: drive and room for growth in my image file on the G: drive.

You might want to check out ClintS reference as it might save you some time in the whole process of moving things around. The only thing that you cannot do, apparently, is move the data to the "root" of the new drive. You do need to create a folder on the new drive to move the data to. I created a new folder called "My Pictures" on the G: drive and then moved the files that I wanted from the C: drive to the new folder on the G: drive following the process outlined in the reference that ClintS sent. It was an overnight run to get it all moved, but it went off without a hitch. HTH.

WesternGuy

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #12
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 3077
Editing OK?: Ask First

Wow! It terrifies me that you are possibly only just doing a first backup now, Lightroom is the least of your worries, at the very worse you can just reinstall that but your images can't be replaced.
In my research work I was producing hundreds of images per day, some of which ranged up to ~4Gb per image. I have around 20 external drives with every image backed up in at least 3 different devices in 3 different locations in case of fire or explosion.
Remember this word "Wibaciilin" will it be a catastrophe if I loose it now?, I backed up everything new when ever the answer to this question was "yes".
Having scared you perhaps, some constructive advice:
* Get at least one external drive, they are cheap now.
* As you are apparently on PC, a great copying, moving, backup utility is TeraCopy from Code Sector: Products - Code Sector
You can get the free version of TeraCopy but the full pro version is only ~$20 and they deserve it for such a good utility.
Let me know when all is safe so I can sleep i{^_~}
Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #13
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 4387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawry View Post
Wow! It terrifies me that you are possibly only just doing a first backup now, Lightroom is the least of your worries, at the very worse you can just reinstall that but your images can't be replaced.
In my research work I was producing hundreds of images per day, some of which ranged up to ~4Gb per image. I have around 20 external drives with every image backed up in at least 3 different devices in 3 different locations in case of fire or explosion.
Remember this word "Wibaciilin" will it be a catastrophe if I loose it now?, I backed up everything new when ever the answer to this question was "yes".
* As you are apparently on PC, a great copying, moving, backup utility is TeraCopy from Code Sector: Products - Code Sector
You can get the free version of TeraCopy but the full pro version is only ~$20 and they deserve it for such a good utility.
+1 ... gutsy move to MOVE the images rather than COPY then delete once you were sure the copy was successful. I also have all of my images copied to three separate external hard drives - with one set off site.
Please, please, please make at least another copy of your images
(what would happen if your brand new hard drive died TONIGHT? It happens ... don't let it happen to you please)
Old 10-18-2013   #14
F1 Camel

Talking Re: Moving my image library

Quote:
Never fear - all is safe - sleep soundly. My images are well backed up - I have two 2TB externals and a 1TB external that are used for backup and I will be looking in to adding to that complement in the next few months. I always make an additional backup to an external disk for anything, including my images, if I am going to be attempting something I have never attempted before. In this case, the "new thing" was relocating parts of my "Picture" library to a different drive so that the image library that is in Lightroom could grow beyond the capacity of the C: drive on my old desk top. I am interested in a piece of good backup software, so thanks for the reference to TeraCopy and sleep well.

WesternGuy

Old 10-18-2013   #15
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 4387

(sleeping peacefully ... thanks!)
Old 10-18-2013   #16
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCo55 View Post
+1 ... gutsy move to MOVE the images rather than COPY then delete once you were sure the copy was successful. I also have all of my images copied to three separate external hard drives - with one set off site.
Please, please, please make at least another copy of your images
(what would happen if your brand new hard drive died TONIGHT? It happens ... don't let it happen to you please)
I agree totally, Teracopy does optionally move files but I only use it to copy files, in fact I never delete anything, hard drives are cheap!
BTW Teracopy does the safe move automatically when set up correctly, ie when "move" is selected it copies, then does a check comparison, then if all is well deletes the original.
Old 10-18-2013   #17
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGuy View Post
Never fear - all is safe - sleep soundly. My images are well backed up - I have two 2TB externals and a 1TB external that are used for backup and I will be looking in to adding to that complement in the next few months. I always make an additional backup to an external disk for anything, including my images, if I am going to be attempting something I have never attempted before. In this case, the "new thing" was relocating parts of my "Picture" library to a different drive so that the image library that is in Lightroom could grow beyond the capacity of the C: drive on my old desk top. I am interested in a piece of good backup software, so thanks for the reference to TeraCopy and sleep well.

WesternGuy
Phew! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 10-19-2013   #18
F1 Camel

Talking Re: Moving my image library

Quote:
I agree totally, Teracopy does optionally move files but I only use it to copy files, in fact I never delete anything, hard drives are cheap!
BTW Teracopy does the safe move automatically when set up correctly, ie when "move" is selected it copies, then does a check comparison, then if all is well deletes the original.
I haven't noticed it deleting anything, so I must not have it set up right. Don't want anything/anyone deleting anything off my computer except me.

WesternGuy

Old 10-20-2013   #19
Vicuna

I was referring to the delete that occurs during moving: Technically there is no such thing as "moving a file" between two physical drives; it get's copied on the second and then deleted on the first.
Old 10-21-2013   #20
F1 Camel

Quote:
I was referring to the delete that occurs during moving: Technically there is no such thing as "moving a file" between two physical drives; it get's copied on the second and then deleted on the first.
Thanks for clarifying that. I was worried for a minute.

WesternGuy

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: