Need to ask a DUMB Question
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1094
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Need to ask a DUMB Question

One month ago,I had ATT&T as my internet provider,and I had someone hacking into my account,and when ATT&T could not help me,I went to Verizon wireless,and boy what a mistake.They sold me a system that you must buy GB's for.We started out with 6 gb and we are now up to 12gb,and I can only stay on the pc for a hour per day. I called ATT&T back to get them back as my carrier but they say there are no more ports left in my area.So I called Charter,and they do not have any service here.As of this post we have only Verizon to choise from.Now here is the dumb part,is there any way to get on the inter net without a host like Verizon or Charter?Please understand that I am only asking because this is my only option,I think at this time;Mack

Old 10-13-2013   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 450862
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Need to ask a DUMB Question

No you do need an

Try to find another one in your area or try to change the package you use with Verizon. Maybe they offer non-wireless service as well?
All the best, Silv. Contributor to our fine-art photography blog, mixed with some documentation shots. @Kamerahelden on Twitter. Always happy about insightful critique of my photos here on the camel and elsewhere.

Berliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 87267

I would call AT@T back and demand to speak to a manager. A lot of those people are lazy as per our experience. Or, ask for tech support. Hope you get it worked out.
richardsphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #4
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsphoto View Post
I would call AT@T back and demand to speak to a manager. A lot of those people are lazy as per our experience. Or, ask for tech support. Hope you get it worked out.
I talked to a manager on Wed 10-16-13and he told me that DSL was going out,and being replaced by u-verse.As of this time it is not in my area.I only have dish and Verizon in my area.I was hoping for something else.Maybe someday,till then,I still go to Mickey d's everyday.Thanks for all your help;Mack
Big Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #5
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 3038224
Editing OK?: Yes

I have Verizon's smallest data plan. Since I don't download movies or watch silly videos I never go over the 5GB allowance and I'm on for hours and hours during the day. I'm using their wireless 4GLTE device. The bandwidth isn't the best in my area (we're an hour away from Death Valley), but it allows me to do what I need to do. If you're uploading tons of photos, though, I can see needing the higher data allowance. However, if you're using it for a photography business, it can be a write-off on your taxes but talk to a tax advisor first.

This looks interesting: Free Wireless Internet | Free Internet | 4G Wireless Internet - FreedomPop
Old 10-25-2013   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes

Yeah what area are you in? I assume you are not in a metro area with those limited options. Otherwise you should be able to get cable now? Correct me if I am wrong but dsl has a "distance from origination" factor involved.
rondiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #7
Guanaco

We had AT&t for 31 years,and I went to Verizon.I wanted to go back,and then all of thishappened.Mack
Big Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #8
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1311444

Is Hughes internet in your area?
its a Satellite service.
Thistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #9
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 18

if you can ask At&T and try asking for VDSL and not ADSL service VDSL is a bit newer and faster and allows more bandwidth.
maybe that is not being phased out just yet
Agree with ronddigs that DSL has a limit for distance

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: