What is SDK
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default What is SDK

As in Software Development Kit. In this case, Canon SDK.

Quick background: Lightroom, and I suspect all PhotoShop family, don't produce good/accurate warm and earthy colors. At least for Canon cameras. Max suggested to use Canon's SDK, he also said that Breezebrowser Pro re-produce as accurate colors as Canon's free software (DPP).
Few days ago, I contacted Mr.Breeze asking him whether he can make a custom profile for my camera. His reply was essentially the same as Max's, that they don't produce profiles (for their software) but just use Canon's SDK.

So the question is, what is SDK, and, who has the ability to use it. An IT person? A programmer? All in the context of making camera profiles to be used in Lightroom.

Cheers

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013   #2
Camel Breath

Default Re: What is SDK

Here is some info about Canon 's SDK from their site.
Old 10-12-2013   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 322787
Constructive Critique?: No

SDK is Software Development Kit, which has, AFAIK, nothing to do with making colour profiles.

If you want accurate colour profiles, matched to each lens if you like, have a look at the X-Rite ColorChecker Passport. I find getting one shot in direct sun, and another in tungsten (incandescent bulb) gets an accurate profile across all lighting conditions. This is called a Dual Illuminant profile.
serendipitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013   #4
Camel Breath

Cheers, serendipitous

I profiled my camera with Color Passport thing, this is what I'm using in LR right now. But still, it's nowhere near the accuracy of Canon software. Big difference in the earthy/warm colors. Cold colors in LR are acceptable, though.
Old 10-12-2013   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6617978

An SDK is exactly as the name implies, a software development kit. This is a series of libraries and other code packets that allow program developers the ability to communicate with Canon cameras. So, for example, you were looking to write an applet that allows you to use your smart phone to trigger your camera you would need to have that bit of code provided by Canon that specifically accesses and triggers the camera shutter.

The SDK supplies all the raw code in a computer readable language that would then get compiled with the code you write for the applet. Unless you understand programming language, and are writing a program that specifically creates color profiles, the SDK is NOT what you need.
Tat2Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013   #6
Camel Breath

Great explanation, T2D. That's exactly the info I was looking for. What you mentioned is a step in the right direction. Thank you very much.

You are a good educator for a reason
Old 10-12-2013   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6617978

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam1234 View Post
Great explanation, T2D. That's exactly the info I was looking for. What you mentioned is a step in the right direction. Thank you very much.

You are a good educator for a reason
Wow, thanks for the high praise, but I'm just trying to help out. Glad the info helps.
Tat2Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013   #8
Guanaco

Quote:
I profiled my camera with Color Passport thing, this is what I'm using in LR right now. But still, it's nowhere near the accuracy of Canon software.
A few things:
- DI profiles are more accurate, so, did you use two images with differing color temperatures?
- colorchecker images vary in quality - someone has written a tool to check how your image turned out: http://www.visualbakery.com/RawThera...rChartCheck.7z - from the guy who wrote it: "The tool averages out the patch area (excluding a spacer area). It's always a good idea to make the shot a little bit unsharp (so things like dust are averaged away)". It is a command-line tool.
- manufacturers know their colour better than third parties. I am told that (at least for Nikon), the best colour accuracy comes from CaptureNX. Presumably the same it true for Canon.

That's "all I got". Hope it helps.
serendipitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #9
Camel Breath

Cheers, serendipitous.

- I've used two images per x-rite's instructions. One outdoor in the shade, the other indoor. Btw, what is DI.

- Totally agree about manufacturers' color accuracy, and this is what I'm trying to achieve in LR.

Thanks, mate
Old 10-13-2013   #10
Guanaco

Quote:
Cheers, serendipitous.

Btw, what is DI.
"Dual Illuminant" - two images with different colour temperatures. Ideally, quite widely different temps.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: