New System
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 24503
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default New System

Hi,

I just retired from the software industry so I finally have time to do some serious photography. I'm an amateur who has been at it for about 4 years now.

I've been struggling with a 32 bit system and a slow 64bit laptop. It got the point where reviewing and editing photos was too much pain so I decided to build my own system. Here's what I built (all purchased from NewEgg).

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $219.99). This was a cost compromise but compared to my current 32bit Core 2 Quad Q6600 this thing ought to sing.
Motherboard: Asus Z77-A ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (Purchased For $114.99). This board had good reviews from the knowledgeable expert community (I discount whiners who bend pins and blame the board). And offered good bang for the buck. I am concerned about the paucity of USB 3.0 ports.
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (Purchased For $99.99). Again a cost measure. The best I could achieve for the board would be DDR3-1600 which is not much of an increase if you ask me.
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased For $99.99). This unit was highly rated and received a number of awards. I will only be putting OS components and caching space for Lightroom and Photoshop on this drive.
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $99.99). I'll probably RAID this with an identical model in the near future.
Case: Corsair C70 Arctic White (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $99.99). What can I say I thought it looked cool, I'm tire of black and just too much of a pacifist for military green.
Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (Purchased For $80.9. The addition of a GPU will push this near the limit so this component my be upgraded. I like the modular build which gives me more options for cabling.
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $19.99). Gotta have it. Didn't want to spend a whole lot of money. A Blu-Ray is probably in the offing.
Other: VANTEC HDA-525P 3.5" to 5.25" Front Bay Converter Kit (Purchased For $7.99)
Other: Rosewill RCR-IC001 40-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/ USB Port / Extra Silver Face Plate (Purchased For $14.99). This is an essential component for a photographers build.
OS -- Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (had a spare laying around).
Total: $858.89

I've since had to buy a new copy with Win 7 Ultimate because Microsoft is going to make my current (very old copy) turn into a pumpkin so that added an additional $200. I also found a 2TB Seagate I stuck in a closet so now I have a RAID-1 2 TB drive.

PS6 wanted 8GB of the memory so I let it have it. It comes up astoundingly fast. I'm still getting used to that. No more coffee breaks for me. I gave LR 16 GB of SSD scratch space. No more surfing the web waiting for previews to render.

I'm in the process of installing all my software and find it very interesting who minds the store on installs. onOne stopped me cold when I tried to install on a 3rd computer but Adobe did not. In any cause I'm going to flatten the old system (of course remembering to unregister everything I can).

Net-Net, the new system ROCKS!

I've submitted a few images but intend to submit a lot more now that I have a new system and more time.

Take a look at my images and let me know what you think.

Thanks for reading,
Rick

RickTheBugMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 316487
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: New System

Sounds like you have a nice system built now. You will be amazed at how fast it is compared to your old one.
BTW: Don't see the images you say you posted. If your having trouble, try this tutorial.

You might find your self wishing you went with a 250 GB SSD rather than the 120 though. You can fill it up faster than you realize. I install secondary programs like cleaners or whatever on the HDD with no performance drop to save space on the SSD.
Even though you have plenty of ram, I would still point Photoshop's scratch disk to the Seagate.
gumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #3
Alpaca

gumper,

Right you are. My strategy for disk space is to use the SSD only for operating system and application software. If it gets too full then I'll get another SSD just for Lightroom and Photoshop. This system is purpose built to support PS and LR.

You're right. I gotta work on my uploads.

Rick
Old 10-03-2013   #4
Alpaca

Well Gumper was right. My 128 gb SSD is almost filled up. I did get to order the video card and expect very soon. Then my system will be complete. Oh, except for getting another SSD. Sigh!
Old 10-03-2013   #5
Llama

Did you order another SSD yet? I have raided SSDs and I can tell you, you wont see a speed difference. In fact it will most likely start up a little slower due to the Raid bios having to load first.

If you do go with another SSD for the OS, consider biting the bullet and buying the larger SSD rather than RAIDing what you got with another 120 GB.
I don't know if you plan on RAIDing the OS but just thought I would save you the trouble.

Glad to hear its working out otherwise. Now if I can just convince you to start playing Battlefield 4 soon. LOL
gumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013   #6
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 450862
Editing OK?: No

FYI the Q6600 is a 64 bit processor. Not that it matters unless you want to use "enough" RAM
All the best, Silv. Contributor to our fine-art photography blog, mixed with some documentation shots. @Kamerahelden on Twitter. Always happy about insightful critique of my photos here on the camel and elsewhere.

Berliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #7
Alpaca

Hi Silv,

Did I miss something? What is the reference to the Q6600 all about?
Old 10-10-2013   #8
Alpaca

Update:

I got my new video card (ASUS Geforce GTX 650i Boost) installed on Monday. The good news is that my system Win 7 performance is rated at 7.7. Not bad for a system that cost just shy of $1100 (totally blew through my target of $850 though). The bad news is that neither Lightroom nor Photoshop CS6 seem to be using it. This is a known issue with Lightroom but Photoshop CS6 has a configuration option to use the video card that I've set. Any ideas?

Rick "The Bug Man" Hurst
Old 10-10-2013   #9
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berliner View Post
FYI the Q6600 is a 64 bit processor. Not that it matters unless you want to use "enough" RAM
Ya its a 64 bit processor but its a laptop. No point in spending money on upgrading an old OS to a new one when I can just put that money towards a new system.

Lightroom, Photoshop and video card utilization. You pretty much hit it on the head already.
Lightroom just doesn't require massive amounts of GPU like one would think.

Video rendering and Gaming will be more noticeable with that 650 even though its not its not a high end card.
You didn't go wrong with that choice, its middle of the road. it uses the same GK106 GPU as the GTX 650 Ti and GTX 660. More than enough for PS but still enough to power games sufficiently.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic:

Tags
amateur, computer, custom system