No More Adobe, Photoshop, Lightroom...GONE! - Page 4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013   #31
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 41250
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: No More Adobe, Photoshop, Lightroom...GONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Image Zone View Post
ACDSee Pro: 1

The only other program I have used extensively is ACDSee Pro. The program tends to mirror LR with more advanced features aimed at Photographer's. My last use was a couple of years ago when they were going through an ownership buy-out and I went to PS and LR 100%.

However, ACDSee is still around and many EU photographers use it exclusively. At the time I left them they just introduced non-destructive editing like LR. Also I feel their cataloging program is superior to LR and is included in the program. If I remember correctly, you can also buy just the editing program if you want to use something else for your cataloging.
Looking forward for more input on this question...
Image Zone - You wrote ACDsee Pro mirrors LR with more advanced features aimed at Photographers. What advanced features does it have that LR doesn't have? ACDsee was the first photo processing software I bought - 12 or 15 years ago. They were upgrading so often, and charging for every upgrade, so I switched to Pixmantic's Rawshooter image processing software which Adobe acquired and used to develop LR1.

More closely related to the original question of this post, this morning I received an email offer from Adobe. It says. "Introducing a special Adobe Creative Cloud plan designed exclusively for photographers. Get the latest versions of Adobe Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5, plus 20GB of cloud storage, Behance ProSite for your own fully customizable professional portfolio, ongoing feature updates*, and more — all for US$9.99/month for as long as you continue your membership†. Valid for Photoshop CS3 and later customers."

I question that last part about "for as long as you continue your membership." Looking at the fine print the offer says, "After the first 12 months, we will automatically renew your contract based on the current price of the offering."

Wondering what that means I called Adobe to ask if that was 9.99 per month for as long as you continued your subscription (as in lifetime). At first the operator said they didn't have information about that. When I pressed him for an answer he came back and said, "It might be subject to changes after the contract is up for renewal." Apparently, this offer is on an annual basis. the cost could increase annually.

I also asked about what happens if you do the 9.99 for a year and then don't renew. First he said I would lose my existing CS6 and LR5. Then he changed it and said I wouldn't lose either.

I asked what would happen if I don't join the CC. For example if I get a new computer or my current hard drive crashes and I need to reload CS6 and/or LR5. It used to be that you bought software with a disc containing the whole program. Now you get a startup file and when you run it you connect to the internet and download additional files and parts of the program. So Adobe could either shut off the reloading of CS6 and LR5 you have purchased or they could no longer support them and not give you an activation key. I didn't get an answer related to whether or not I would be able to reinstall CS6 and LR5 in the future or, if it can be reinstalled, for how long into the future.
Sing141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #32
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 85
Editing OK?: Yes

Amateur ( English prof with buyer's remorse over the PhD)
PC
LR addict since 2.x

Well, I don't think the anti-digital jack-booted thugs are coming anytime soon, but I guess I would either change my settings to jpeg or cast my lot with Nik!
Canon 7d
Sigma and Canon Lenses
Tamrac Evolution pack

www.stillwildarts.wordpress.com
mldiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #33
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
[*]Software Level of experience with LR or Photoshop, ie, hobby, Serious, Semi-pro, professional, genius.
Professional. Been using both for a long time, though there are many folks, professional and otherwise, that have much better post skills.

Quote:
[*]System you use: Mac or PC.
Mac.

Quote:
[*]Photography experience
Professional.

Quote:
QUESTION:
What alternate software do you turn to, to do your editing? What do you feel is the very best alternatives to Adobe?
What are your two top choices you are going to try or buy ??

YOUR ANSWER:
My two top choices are:

Because:
My top two choices are Apple Aperture and Phase One's Capture One.

My workflow is not necessarily predicated on Adobe products, so I can just plug in a different RAW converter. In the past, I wasn't always using Adobe anyways; In addition to ACR in Photoshop and Lightroom, I've dabbled with Capture One LE (the old free version of Capture One bundled with some CF cards), Nikon Capture NX (ugh), Apple Aperture.

My Digital Asset Management solution (DAM) is Camera Bits' Photo Mechanic, the industry standard for editorial photography, so no Adobe influence there. The program actually offers basic editing and raw conversion through the Mac OS raw converter too, but I wouldn't count on it.

I choose my selects in Photo Mechanic, and then bring those into my raw converter of choice. Currently, it's Lightroom 4 but I've used Apple Aperture with no ill effects, and Capture One would fit into that part of the workflow too. Those two pieces of software also have some DAM capability, but my archive is already structured around a Photo Mechanic workflow.

cyclohexane is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: