No More Adobe, Photoshop, Lightroom...GONE! - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013   #21
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 444
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: No More Adobe, Photoshop, Lightroom...GONE!

Hobbyist, PC, Hobbyist-Advanced

This is precisely the reason why I am not going CC. Because with CC, there is quite the possibility of 'zap', no more PS for me. (Adobe doesn't have to go belly up or be attacked by men in black suits. They just have to decide to cancel my account, or a sanction against my country, or have corruption in their accounts database, raise the price too high, etc), so in part, I feel like I've already had to face this situation.

I have decided to stay with LR4 and PS5 at this stage. I have looked to some alternatives. There are some potential good alternatives to LR4, but not PS5 yet. Even so, as I'm happy both these, I don't see the need to move, until another company can offer more than what I already have, but continuing into the CC is out of the question for me.
adza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013   #22
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 6076
Editing OK?: No

Re: No More Adobe, Photoshop, Lightroom...GONE!

The onset of Armageddon!
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013   #23
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2638122
Editing OK?: Ask first

Photoninja, dxo, gimp, aperture, capture one, etc etc
If a giant hole swallowed adobe, ther'd be a replacement in no time.
jdt360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013   #24
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

Pro
Mac
Pro

Software of choice: Phase One Capture One Pro

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #25
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Photo Experience: Nikon NPS
Photoshop Exp: Guru who taught other to become a Guru

What - what - ....oh wow what a dream that was....back to reality.

I am an advanced phototgrapher and LR User.

Good set of questions as I have consider the no PS option seriously due
to cost issues with PS. There are some great options out there right now.

Option 1. PS Elements 11 and OnOne Version 8
Option 2. Thumbsplus Pro by cerius software super fast cataloging software
Picture Window Pro by Jonathan Sachs who wrote Lotus 1-2-3 and who
just happens to be a photagrapher who didn't like the costs and resource
hog that Photoshop became so he wrote his own software which has
worked in 48 bit mode since the beginning

One of the best software products I used (now it is a FREE open source) was a product by Lightcrafters called Lightzone. This was one nice pieces of software which I believe would have been a PS killer from a photography only stand point if it had gotten the attention and purchasing support it deserved.
Johnnycb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #26
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 41250
Editing OK?: Yes

My computer is a PC.

My photography experience: Advanced, although I sometimes feel like a beginner. Iíve sold a few photos related to event photography but donít make a habit of it.

You might say Iíve used Lightroom since before there was a LR. I used a raw processing software that sold out to Adobe and was used in the development of Lightroom One, which I received a free copy of as compensation for losing my original software. I use Photoshop (CS6), but am using it less and less as LR is getting better and better. I have way more software than I need or know how to use properly Ė Topaz, NIk, OnOne.
LR 5 is great. Iíve found that most people complaining about LR tried early versions and havenít tried versions 4 or 5 which are great improvements over LR3 and earlier.

Right now, if I could only have two software products, I would choose Lightroom and OnOne Suite 7.5, but given your hypothetical (I hope) situation, if Adobe suddenly wasnít there and I could only have two software products I would choose:

1. OnOne Suite 7.5 and then update to Suite 8 which is coming out soon in beta and as a full version in November. I think OnOne has been moving toward being an alternative for the Photo processing part of Photoshop for some time. Anyone not wanting the Adobe cloud or not liking what is going on at Adobe should look at OnOne.
2. To replace the photo database part of LR I might look at ACDSee. Before LR I used ACDSee but quit because they were constantly updating their product and charging too much for each update.

Of course there are lots of so-called ďalternativesĒ to Adobe products. Google "alternatives to Photoshop" and you get over 12 million results. What is funny is that many of the top alternatives to Photoshop are listed as Elements and Lightroom. Looking at software right now and the discounts some companies are giving I wonder if they arenít trying to lure new customers as some do get fed up with Adobe and its Crowd -- I mean Cloud.
Sing141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #27
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 122031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiga View Post
Software Level of experience with Photoshop: Average but use layers a lot
System: MPC.
Photography experience: Hobbyist, don't print much.

First I would turn to ACDSee. Reason: I have seen good work on the Camel using this product.

If that did not satisfy me, I would investigate 1. Serif PhotoPlus x6, 2. Onone Perfect Photo Suite 7,
3. Corel PaintShop Pro X6 (I have an ancient copy of Paintshop Pro 7 and still use it for some things!)

I already use DxO Optics Pro 8 rather than ACR and like it a lot for lends correction and RAW processing.

Martin
I have used ACDSee Pro some time ago and it is a decent program and is getting better.
Serif PhotoPlus X6,: I have this program and it isn't worth it. However, I have designed all my own websites and used their Serif WebPlus X6, and it is great for doing your own sites as it is very intuitive and friendly. I can put one together in a week-end.
Onone Perfect PhotoSuite 7.0: I just got the suite and used the compositing to change out overcast skys for beautiful clouds on over 30 images of commercial real estate shoot. Got tired of fighting with PS. Works very well but had a couple of glitches where the colors were too close and had to re-do several times using several of tools available. The Black and White program works really well and I think better than its big competitor Silver Effects Pro.
Corel Paintshop Pro: I haven't used any of the Corel Paintshop products but if they work as good as their Corel Painter XII program they must be pretty good. Painter XII is far better than trying to use PS for painting. Painter XII also interfaces with PS.
DxO Optics Pro: I Haven't used it, as I never heard of it.

http://www.ImageZonePhotography.com
Image Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #28
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 43713362
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Image Zone View Post
I have used ACDSee Pro some time ago and it is a decent program and is getting better.
Serif PhotoPlus X6,: I have this program and it isn't worth it. However, I have designed all my own websites and used their Serif WebPlus X6, and it is great for doing your own sites as it is very intuitive and friendly. I can put one together in a week-end.
Onone Perfect PhotoSuite 7.0: I just got the suite and used the compositing to change out overcast skys for beautiful clouds on over 30 images of commercial real estate shoot. Got tired of fighting with PS. Works very well but had a couple of glitches where the colors were too close and had to re-do several times using several of tools available. The Black and White program works really well and I think better than its big competitor Silver Effects Pro.
Corel Paintshop Pro: I haven't used any of the Corel Paintshop products but if they work as good as their Corel Painter XII program they must be pretty good. Painter XII is far better than trying to use PS for painting. Painter XII also interfaces with PS.
DxO Optics Pro: I Haven't used it, as I never heard of it.
Hmmm, interesting. Thanks!

Martin
Martin

Once photography enters your bloodstream, it is like a disease.

Software: Too numerous to list but my most used utility is ShiftN for perspective correction

Gear: Canon G12, no tripod, no lenses, no flash, no remote, no cases or bags!

Stiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #29
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 122031

Time for a quick summary as of today September 17, 2013. I will also check for more responses and suggestions for alternatives. There have been several suggestions but I will only count the, "I would use" responses to keep it clean. So far the ranking goes like this:
Gimp: 4
Painshop Pro: 3
On One: 2
Phase One Capture one: 1
iPhoto: 1
ACDSee Pro: 1
After Shot: 1
DxO: 1

With regard to GIMP, it is a Free Open Source program and you can download it and try it. I tried it a few years ago but found it was a bit clunky, it had most of the features of PS but not nearly as polished. I imagine if they had more supporters it would be a great alternative to PS. Donate to GIMP if you would like to have a better FREE program. At least download it and try it.

The only other program I have used extensively is ACDSee Pro. The program tends to mirror LR with more advanced features aimed at Photographer's. My last use was a couple of years ago when they were going through an ownership buy-out and I went to PS and LR 100%.

However, ACDSee is still around and many EU photographers use it exclusively. At the time I left them they just introduced non-destructive editing like LR. Also I feel their cataloging program is superior to LR and is included in the program. If I remember correctly, you can also buy just the editing program if you want to use something else for your cataloging.

I have not used any PaintShop Pro programs for photography...no Comment.

I have used OnOne Perfect Photo Suite 7, but only the Compositing feature and the B&W module. They work exceptionally well. I used the compositiong for replacing skies on over 40 commercial real estate shots. I have used the B&W module and like it better than it competitor Silver Effects Pro.

Looking forward for more input on this question...

http://www.ImageZonePhotography.com
Image Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #30
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 481935

Photographers have always manipulated their images to get the best from them, to express the story there trying to convey, nothing has changed except the technology to do it more easily. I used Photoshop CS3 for 5 years until I up graded last your to CS6. Hopefully I can get another 5 years out of CS6 lol. I have friends who switched over to the Adobe cloud and they like it. To expensive for me and don't like the idea someone else has my files. I Have light room 4.6. and does a good job for me .See no reason to upgrade this year. It looks like lightroom5 will be available for this years without using the cloud.

If your on the fence about ,do you really need Photoshop, spend $59 on Photoshop Elements and see how you like it

Check out my web page to see how i have used CS6 and Lightroom with my photos

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: